Tabular Data Source Dimension Column Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to configure a tabular(SQL Server table) data source.  Note that I am still pretty new to PPS, so I apologize if this is a silly question.  Also, I am using the Japanese version so some of my lingo might not match up with the English screens but should be close enough.

I created a view in the DB, and I am using this as my tabular data source.  Connection and preview works fine.

When I am configuring the columns, if the column type is set to Dimension then the "Key Column" becomes enabled.  What is this column for?

My guess was that I had to set another columns type to "Key" and then when I select the column containing the name I set the column type to "Dimension" and then set the key column to the "Key" column I just defined.  Unfortunately when I do this the dimension does not slice, I simply get the aggregate value.(I have verified that the key values are what they should be)  If I leave the key column blank, the Dimension works fine.  The only problem is that I can't guarantee that there are not 2 members with the same name that have different keys, so I would rather define an actual key for the dimension if possible.

Any ideas how I can do this?(create a dimension that slices based on a key, but users see the name)

Seems like I am missing something pretty simple here, but I can't seem to find the answer so any help would be appreciated.

Also, any way to define a compound key?  I am guessing it would be easier to just do it in the database view I created, but if I'm missing something here give me a holler.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:31 AM

All replies