Azure Information Rights Management with Click-To-Run Office2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I set up Office365 and Azure IRM in order to enable message encryption for a small law firm.  They were initially using standard MSI install Office 2013, and it's working fine today on all the original computers.  We moved the permissions button to the main tab for new mail messaged, and they use that to apply a policy called "Apply Message Encryption" which causes the message to be encrypted.

They recently got a new PC set up by someone else with Click-To-Run Office 2016 from Office365.  I imported the usual registry entries (updated for 2016 (version 16.0)), but it didn't work.  After some troubleshooting, it appears that Click-To-Run registry virtualization is likely the culprit and Outlook isn't seeing the registry key.

I did some more searching and came across this page that says "IRM settings are not configurable for Office Click-to-Run streaming and virtualization deployments.".  It's for 2013, but it seems like I'm seeing the same thing for 2016.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178985.aspx

Can I use IRM with Outlook 2016 installed from Office365.  It seems like IRM is the foundational technology for security in Office365, and Office365 ProPlus is being pushed heavily.  I'd be shocked if they didn't work together, but it seems like that's what I'm seeing.

Anyone else run into this or have a solution?

Thanks!

Friday, December 16, 2016 5:26 PM