none
An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID: 104) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting this error in the event logs when trying to run a consistency check / sync with one of our file servers.

This server was working fine, but w needed to migrate the data to a new partition (GPT) to allow it to expand past the 2TB limit of MBR partitions.  I added a new 3TB disk migrated the data and changed the drive letter to what the old partition was prior.  Since then we seem to get this error.

I have installed the update roll up on both the server and the agent side.  I have also removed the server from the protection group then re-added it.  I've also removed and reinstalled the agent on the file server.

Any help is appreciated!  Here's the full error from the DPM server:

The replica of E:\ on server is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID: 104)

Friday, December 19, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Provide full error detail from event viewer logs.
    Friday, December 26, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Could you please share more details on your deployment?

What version of Windows Server, What version of DPM, and which workloads are you trying to protect?

Also did you expand production source or the DPM Server?

Regards, Trinadh [MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. If you found the reply helpful, please MARK IT AS ANSWER. Looking for source of information for DPM? http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh758173.aspx

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Server Version is Windows 2012 R2 STD.  DPM is 4.2.1235.0 (DPM 2012 R2).  I expanded the production file server.  All that server does is host up file shares.

I suspected the fact that I created a new volume and changed drive letter back to the original to be the source cause of the issue.  What I ended up doing is blowing away the backups from this server on disk and re-adding it to the protection group.  It now runs much longer, but still times out at random with the error mentioned above.

Vijay:  The error was copied from Event Viewer.  Not sure what else you require?  Event ID is 3106 from DPM-EM.

The DPM logs say:

Affected area: E:\
    Occurred since: 2015-01-05 2:04:38 AM
    Description: The replica of Volume E:\ on servername is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
     An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired (0x80070079))
    Date inactivated: 2015-01-05 7:03:04 AM
    Recommended action: No action is required because this alert is inactive.

Affected area: E:\
    Occurred since: 2015-01-05 2:04:38 AM
    Description: The replica of Volume E:\ on servername is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
     An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired (0x80070079))

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Any solution for the above error?
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:17 AM