Windows 7 Professional and Small Business Server 2011 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced our Windows Small Business Server 2003 with a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials server using the same domain name and same computer name. When I tried to join an existing Windows 7 Professional computer to the new domain, i kept getting trust relationship errors. I logged on to the workstation using a local login and rejoined the domain but now all the items on the desktop have disappeared including the connection to Windows Live Mail. Can I restore this?
    Allen K Dunn
    • Edited by AKDUNN Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:18 PM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:07 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According the issue, I suspect that your machine created a new user profile in this case. The user profile path is stored in registry, here is the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList(check the picture).  Please check the value of ProfileImagePath.

Also, please take a screenshot of C:\Users and post is here.

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:34 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According the issue, I suspect that your machine created a new user profile in this case. The user profile path is stored in registry, here is the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList(check the picture).  Please check the value of ProfileImagePath.

Also, please take a screenshot of C:\Users and post is here.

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:34 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I agree - this will have created a new profile but once you have identified the profile you can go into the old users profile and copy the shortcuts from the desktop folder into the new one.
    Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:41 AM