none
Upgrade / Migration Options

Question

• I have a  2012 essentials server that needs to be upgraded / Migrated to 2016 standard. I have surpassed the 25 users and would like to get to 2016 standard without recreating the domain environment if possible.

If I can't migrate the existing server, can I join the domain (2012 essentials) with a 2016 standard server and transfer the domain rolls to at least capture the domain information?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, December 05, 2017 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is 21-day grace period for Windows Server Essentials to complete migration – that means you should remove/demote Essentials Server before 21-day grace period expires. 

Migrating from Essentials to Standard and keep to using existing domain, you can reference below steps:
    1. Prepare source server, such as system health check, update installation and etc.
    2. Install new server and add it to existing Essentials domain, and configure it as replica Domain Controller.
    3. Migrating data and configurations from Essentials to Standard server, except for Active Directory Domain Service, other server role, such as DNS, DHCP and etc. should also to be migrated.
    4. Un-install Connector.exe on client system.
    5. Remove and demote Windows Server Essentials.
    6. New server system and function check/detection.

Steps are similar as Standard Server migration if there is no specific services(such as Exchange, SharePoint, SQL and etc.) installed on your Essentials Server.

Detail steps you may reference - Migrating Roles and Features in Windows Server:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/migrate-roles-and-features

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by I_AM_Willy Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is 21-day grace period for Windows Server Essentials to complete migration – that means you should remove/demote Essentials Server before 21-day grace period expires. 

Migrating from Essentials to Standard and keep to using existing domain, you can reference below steps:
    1. Prepare source server, such as system health check, update installation and etc.
    2. Install new server and add it to existing Essentials domain, and configure it as replica Domain Controller.
    3. Migrating data and configurations from Essentials to Standard server, except for Active Directory Domain Service, other server role, such as DNS, DHCP and etc. should also to be migrated.
    4. Un-install Connector.exe on client system.
    5. Remove and demote Windows Server Essentials.
    6. New server system and function check/detection.

Steps are similar as Standard Server migration if there is no specific services(such as Exchange, SharePoint, SQL and etc.) installed on your Essentials Server.

Detail steps you may reference - Migrating Roles and Features in Windows Server:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/migrate-roles-and-features

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by I_AM_Willy Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Thank you!

Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

It's my pleasure. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:59 AM