Displaybarcode and german umlaut ä, ö and ü RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

is it possible to display a QR code with german umlauts äöü?

Using { DISPLAYBARCODE AOUÄÖÜ \q 3 } results in "AOUAOU" when scanning the QR code.

• Moved by Chenchen Li Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:09 AM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for development issues related to Word Object Model. As this issue is about the feature of Word Product, I would move this thread into Word IT Pro Discussions forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:09 AM
  • is it possible to display a QR code with german umlauts äöü?

If it is, right now I do not see how.

FWIW I see the same problem herewith { DISPLAYBARCODE "AOUÄÖÜ" QR \q 3 }

IMO umlauted characters, and indeed a much larger Unicode character set, should really be supported.

I looked at the relevant standard (ISO/IEC 18004:2006, according to the Microsoft page at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh745901(v=office.12).aspx

As far as I can tell, the earlier 2000 version of that standard originated in Japan and allowed for a number of encoding standards, starting with "a very small character set (digits 0-9)", something slightly larger (sort of A-Z+0-9+a few other characters), JIS X 0201, and an encoding that included Kanji. 

But the field doesn't really correspond to any of those as it allows a-z (not just A-Z) but AFAICS not the Katakana in JIS 0201.

The 2006 standard has a lot more on encoding and discusses the ISO-8859-1 standard, which ought to allow all the umlauted characters you mention, and more.

I would like to escalate this issue to Microsoft, but right now it is not obvious how to do that on the Windows side.

For an alternative approach that uses VBA and a web service, please see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-msoffice_custom/vba-code-word-that-creates-the-qr-code-directly

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:12 PM