Redhat 6.3 on Hyper-V, "SRAT: Hotplug area too small" at boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

After installing Linux Redhat 6.3 on Hyper I receive this message at boot of the Linux virtual machine:

SRAT: Hotplug area too small

Can anyone help understand this message and how to resolve.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Raymond TODO

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:04 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:42 PM

All replies

• Some follow-up questions:

What version of Hyper-V are you running?  (2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2)

How much memory is configured in the VM?  And how many vCPUs?

How did you install RHEL 6.3?  From the installation ISO?  Or by copying a VHD that already had RHEL 6.3 in it?  If from the RHEL 6.3 ISO, then the Linux Integration Services (LIS) are not already installed.  If from a cloned VHD, then the LIS might already be installed.  So what I'm really wanting to know is if the LIS is installed.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Actually, I'm told that you can just ignore this message.  It is benign.  It occurs due to a bug in the virtual BIOS that Hyper-V presents to the guest VM, but it has no effect.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you for your answer. Just in case you need them, please find below the information you requested in your previous post.

What version of Hyper-V are you running? (2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2):

Answer: Core Windows 2008 R2 Hyper V

How much memory is configured in the VM?:

Answer: 16Gb

And how many vCPUs?

Answer: 4

How did you install RHEL 6.3? From the installation ISO? Or by copying a VHD that already had RHEL 6.3 in it?:

Answer:  From ISO

If from the RHEL 6.3 ISO, then the Linux Integration Services (LIS) are not already installed. If from a cloned VHD, then the LIS might already be installed. So what I'm really wanting to know is if the LIS is installed.

Answer: Yes, I installed the LIS v3.4 after the RHEL 6.3 installation

Thank you again for your assistance.

Regards

Raymond TODO

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Actually, I'm told that you can just ignore this message.  It is benign.  It occurs due to a bug in the virtual BIOS that Hyper-V presents to the guest VM, but it has no effect.

This issue has been fixed in the upstream kernels as of the 3.2 series as the hot-plug infrastructure was properly added to the kernel. 

All posted advice may not be all that accurate. As always, test it in a lab before you try my advice! Best of all, the documentation is your friend.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:18 AM