Repaired Windows 7, now system is extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• Due to a problem with Windows constantly losing my DVD burner, I did a repair installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit last night.  Immediately after the reinstall, everything worked fine, I was again able to see and use my DVD burner, life was fine.  Overnight, however, Windows update went and retrieved all of the recent security updates, etc. and this morning... the whole system is dirt slow.  I tried to load up my CD burner software this morning and it went non-responsive.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no change.  Windows Explorer is also slow, it takes upwards of a minute to refresh drive contents, etc.  I went and checked the event viewer and didn't see anything that seemed out of the ordinary in the past 24 hours, as compared to the last week.  I've checked the system performance and my CPU, even when a program is non-responsive, is never above 20-25% capacity, RAM is never above 15-20% capacity.  Usually, CPU is around 7% and RAM is around 10-15%.

I was going to jump back to restore point before the update but don't want to lose all of those security updates.  The computer was fast before I did the reinstall, the computer was fast after I did the reinstall, it's slow after Windows updated.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:22 PM

Answers

• I'd already done all of that, I've come to think that my DVD burner is bad and have ordered a new one that will arrive on Monday.  It used to burn once or twice and then fail, now it just grinds and won't read anything.  Once I removed it, a lot of my slowness has cleared up.  We'll see if the problem returns when I install the new burner.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Cephus404 Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:50 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To optimize Windows performance, try using the Performance troubleshooter to automatically find and fix problems.

1.       Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking theStartbutton, and then clickingControl Panel.

2.       In the search box, typetroubleshooter, and then clickTroubleshooting.

3.       Under System and Security, clickCheck for performance issues.

Also try deleting temp files and prefetch files.

To delete temp files,

Click on start and in search bar type in as %temp% and hit enter. Delete all the files in that folder.

Do the same with prefetch files.

Also take a look at the following:

Ways to improve your computer's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Ways-to-improve-your-computers-performance

If the above methods can not solve your issue, try to start the PC in Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the issue would not persist in Safe Mode, please perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:20 AM
  • I'd already done all of that, I've come to think that my DVD burner is bad and have ordered a new one that will arrive on Monday.  It used to burn once or twice and then fail, now it just grinds and won't read anything.  Once I removed it, a lot of my slowness has cleared up.  We'll see if the problem returns when I install the new burner.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Cephus404 Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:50 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:50 PM