Migration of SCCM 2012 R2 hireracy from one datacenter to another datacenter with new host name and IP address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have an existing hirerachy of SCCM 2012 R2 and would like to move that hierarchy to another datacenter. as per the IT mandates, we have to use the different nomenclature in the new DC. We have 1 CAS Server, 2 primary sites (abc and xyz) a nd 1 secondary sites. SQL 2012 R2 is also need to be migrated to the new datacenter. CAS and abc Primary site exists in old datacenter, and xyz primary site existing in the new datacenter complying to the new datacenter nomenclature. The secondary site located in a remote location is connected to the abc primary site.

as per the approach, we are planning to the build new CAS and abc primary site using 2012 r2 migration tool to migrate the hierarchy to the new hierarchy.

Since the xyz primary site already exist in the new datacenter, I am hoping to just repoint the xyz primary site to the new CAS server. I would like to know if I can re point the secondary server to the new primary server keeping the secondary site code same and point it to the new primary site code.

your help is highly appreciated.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:41 AM

Answers

• No, you can't switch a primary site from one CAS to another CAS. Your only option here is to also migrate that primary site to the new CAS hierarchy.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:47 AM
  •  as it was implemented for future use. Regarding the second primary site, that network is isolated, hence we have a second primary site included for that network.

If I understand right, I cannot migrate the primary site xyz to the new CAS server using the 2012 R2 migration tool?

This is also no reason for setting up a CAS. Isolated network? A CAS has to talk to the primary so it cannot be isolated 100%. I'd rethink that decision.

No you cannot move primaries from one CAS to another.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 4, 2015 11:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, December 28, 2015 7:18 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 8:06 AM

All replies

• No, you can't switch a primary site from one CAS to another CAS. Your only option here is to also migrate that primary site to the new CAS hierarchy.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:47 AM
  • You can certainly move the systems/site to the new data center but you won't be able to rename them.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:56 PM
  • If you are planning on creating a new CAS and Primary in the new DC, that already has a Primary site. Then it make no sense that you have a CAS and two primary sites at the new DC, unless you have over 200,000 computers.

You existing primary site will not be allow to be detached from the CAS and then attached to another CAS.

This is the time to remove the CAS and all the headaches that go along with it.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:54 PM
  • We will be building a parallel Hirerachy in the new DC.In the current infrastructure, we have the all the PS's (abc and xyz) connecting to the the CAS is old DC. Since existing Primary site in the new DC is connecting back to the old DC. So we would like to re point/ migrate the existing xyz PS to the new CAS server in new DC during migration.

I am concerning about the secondary site, in remote location connected to PS abc in the old DC. Once I build new PS in the new DC, will I be able to disconnect the secondary site and connect it to new PS in the new DC? we can have the secondary site hostname and site code same. But I am more concerned if 2012 R2 migration tool allows to migrate the secondary site from old PS to the new PS?

The existing primary site serves a different group in a different network segment. Hence we will repoint/ migrate it to the new CAS server in the new DC.

Also could you please suggest what all the actions in my scenario, the 2012 R2 inbuilt migration tool can accomplish?

Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:52 PM
  • No. Nothing you've said above will work. You can't repoint sites and you can't migrate secondary sites. Garth's point is that none of this makes any sense from a strategic perspective either. Have multiple primary sites unless you have over 150,000 managed clients is a waste of resources and money and is not necessary for *any* valid technical reason.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response. Since the architecture is already available, I cannot get rid of the CAS server, as it was implemented for future use. Regarding the second primary site, that network is isolated, hence we have a second primary site included for that network.

If I understand right, I cannot migrate the primary site xyz to the new CAS server using the 2012 R2 migration tool?

Friday, December 4, 2015 6:48 AM
  •  as it was implemented for future use. Regarding the second primary site, that network is isolated, hence we have a second primary site included for that network.

This is also no reason for setting up a CAS. Isolated network? A CAS has to talk to the primary so it cannot be isolated 100%. I'd rethink that decision.

No you cannot move primaries from one CAS to another.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 4, 2015 11:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, December 28, 2015 7:18 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 8:06 AM