none
SteadyState error RRS feed

• Question

• After updating a vista machine with windows update with SS's restrictions disabled, rebooting the machine and reapplying SS's restrictions gives this error:

"This user cannot be edited because the profile is currently in use. Ensure that this user is currently logged off and try again."  There is only one profile that is being restricted, they have admin privileges, and I access SteadyState through the built-in Administrator profile, in which I ran the windows update. They were all applied successfully and upon reboot, the "Public" profile automatically logs in. I log out, and log into the Administrator account to reapply SS's restrictions, but can't because of this error.

Has anyone ever encountered this error? Thanks.

Philip

Complexity is the enemy of Security -- Steve Gibson
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:18 PM

Answers

• That is very interesting Sean, the last posted comment states to hold down the shift keys to log into the Administrator account before it autologs into the restricted account. Problem is, no matter when I do it, holding down the shift keys doesn't stop the log on process, so the machine is constantly logging into the restricted account. It probably is the reason though, why this error is happening. Why the, if you were to log out of that restricted account, and log into the Admin account doesn't fix it (why it still thinks it is logged in?) is beyond me.  I will try to play with it again to see if I can get the machine to stop the login process and log into the Admin account first, and if I do, try to get SS to enable/disable and restrictions. I'll let you know...

Philip

• Marked as answer by fairlane32 Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Philip, have you tried the solution in the following thread:

Profile is currently in use error

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/305dae78-3476-428c-b846-051c05deb113

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:33 AM
  • That is very interesting Sean, the last posted comment states to hold down the shift keys to log into the Administrator account before it autologs into the restricted account. Problem is, no matter when I do it, holding down the shift keys doesn't stop the log on process, so the machine is constantly logging into the restricted account. It probably is the reason though, why this error is happening. Why the, if you were to log out of that restricted account, and log into the Admin account doesn't fix it (why it still thinks it is logged in?) is beyond me.  I will try to play with it again to see if I can get the machine to stop the login process and log into the Admin account first, and if I do, try to get SS to enable/disable and restrictions. I'll let you know...

Philip

• Marked as answer by fairlane32 Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Thanks for the thread Sean. The last poster's comment about holding the SHIFT keys worked. Its a pain sometimes because the error occurs after a doing a Windows Update. It happens after every Windows Update. The SHIFT key trick only works part of the time too; sometimes even while holding down the two keys it will still autologin. Probably just easier to disable autologin at the onset, do all your Windows Update and re-enable autologin.

Philip

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:04 PM