Email awareness - Add External to Email friendly Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to setup email awareness at my place. i would like to notify users when an email from an external party. i am ware of the these two options;

1. Append something to the subject example, [EXT] or [EXTERNAL] - Exchange Transport Rule

2. Append a HTML banner top of the email saying WARNING... - Exchange Transport Rule

i wanted to know if i could add the word EXTERNAL to the friendly display name in an email.

For example if a mail is from freddy.jackson@test.com, the email in Outlook would appear from - Freddy Jackson. i want to change this to Freddy Jackson - EXTERNAL

If thats not an option;

maybe remove the friendly name all together for external addresses.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

I am trying to setup email awareness at my place. i would like to notify users when an email from an external party. i am ware of the these two options;

1. Append something to the subject example, [EXT] or [EXTERNAL] - Exchange Transport Rule

2. Append a HTML banner top of the email saying WARNING... - Exchange Transport Rule

i wanted to know if i could add the word EXTERNAL to the friendly display name in an email.

For example if a mail is from freddy.jackson@test.com, the email in Outlook would appear from - Freddy Jackson. i want to change this to Freddy Jackson - EXTERNAL

If thats not an option;

maybe remove the friendly name all together for external addresses.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

The transport rule is your best option. You arent going to be able to mess with the Display Name on any consistent basis .

ALso, look at:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/eopfieldnotes/2018/02/09/combating-display-name-spoofing/

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:47 PM
  • I already have display name spoofing in place, using similar rule.

looking for other options around letting my users know this is an external email. What are other exchange admins doing? 

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:40 PM
  • I already have display name spoofing in place, using similar rule.

looking for other options around letting my users know this is an external email. What are other exchange admins doing? 

The disclaimer thing in transport rules is what I see most often
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:14 PM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:04 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2019 7:49 AM
  • It has been a long time since you made the last reply on this thread. If you don't mind, we'd suggest you mark the replies above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful one/ones.

Thanks for your understandings!

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 9:34 AM