Windows Media Player 12 Now Playing window too small RRS feed

• Question

• When opening a video with wmp 12 the "now playing" window always opens as a very tiny window or, if "fit player to video" is checked, adjusts itself to the size of the video. When manually adjusting the size of the window and then closing the application and opening a new video, the "now playing" window goes back to being tiny. I have tried checking and unchecking both "fit player to video" and "fit video to player on resize" under "video" on the right click menu.

With previous versions of windows media player it was possible to adjust the window size and have all the videos adjust to that size. Is this a bug or a new feature? Or is there a way to change back to the old way?

I'm using windows 7 RC x64.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:58 AM

Answers

• I think this is expected behavior. Have you tried playing the video in the Library view?

edit: I think I found something of a workaround but maybe its not entirely what you want. If you open Windows Media Player (without opening a file) and switch to the Now Playing view, hold the ctrl button while resizing the window. Then exit and open a file. On my computer it will pop up at the same size I had just resized it to. 

-Nick
    • Proposed as answer by chrisnella Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by DavidGunnarsson Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:26 PM

All replies

• bump
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Had that problem at first but went away after I maximized the window while in "now playing".
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:16 PM
  • That seemed to work now that I tried it but only one time. When I try to replicate it the window stay the same size every time I open a new video and does not care what size it where before I closed it.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I think this is expected behavior. Have you tried playing the video in the Library view?

edit: I think I found something of a workaround but maybe its not entirely what you want. If you open Windows Media Player (without opening a file) and switch to the Now Playing view, hold the ctrl button while resizing the window. Then exit and open a file. On my computer it will pop up at the same size I had just resized it to. 

-Nick
    • Proposed as answer by chrisnella Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by DavidGunnarsson Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:26 PM
  • -Nick FV is exactly right. worked perfectly man. thanks.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Select View, Video Size, deselect Fit Player to video ... done 
    • Proposed as answer by EricTN Monday, November 30, 2009 3:39 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Walter A1's solution is the correct solution.   The confusion wouldn't be there if "Fit Player to Video" wasn't already checked as the default setting.  Clearing the checkmark solves the issue.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Walt's didn't work for me. Nick's did.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I second ubjazzed - Walt's solution did nothing. Nick's worked.
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:32 AM
  • I just had the same thing happen.   Things were just fine, then it started opening up at about 1200x60 size.  

Nick's workaround did work, but why did it happen in hte first place.

Funnny.....

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:53 AM
  • I've read the entire thread.  The way WMP used to work was the player would start at the same size and location as it was when last closed, so long as the "Fit Player to video" option was unchecked.

1. The player still retains its most recent location on screen when starting up.

2. However, simply unchecking the option "Fit Player to video" does nothing, now, and the player will continue to start at "video size" no matter how it was last used.  The functionality appears broken.

3. Nick FV's workaround does work but holding ctrl is not necessary.  You just have to open the player standalone (not by opening a media file), adjust the screen, then close it.  It will open at THAT size at subsequent startups by any means, provided "Fit Player to video remains unchecked"

Sure seems buggy to me.  Same way the list wont stay up after closing the player.

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Banon, you are surely correct. I did as you mentioned about adjusting the screen and now it opens full screen each time. Thanks a million mate.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 9:15 AM
  • I know this is an old post, but I was having this problem today and after trying *many* things, this is the ONLY thing that worked! Thanks so much Nick!
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 2:35 PM
  • An update of windows changed extension file to movie TV.  Change to windows media player
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:41 AM
  • So, here aw are again and again where MS developers the old guard who made programs
    correctly are gone and theses kid break more thing then have ever fixed. We can
    no longer open a media file anyone from (Now) file explorer without it opening
    in the top left corner of our screens and so tiny its entire useless. You have
    drag the playing file window to a decent size every stinking time you open a
    media file with ZERO fixes as MS treats this a nothing wrong even though older versions
    written by older programmers always worked totally correctly. The worse part of
    this dilemma is that MS will NEVER correct tis EVER.  They do not care and
    us little people have absolutely no credibility. Windows 10 is a total POS and
    all they care about sharing and media toys. Screw actual productivity and ease
    of use and booting up a Windows 10 computer anymore is a crap shot that anything
    will be the same as the last boot up. In all reality Windows 10 was specially
    built for their Slate series of hardware just like Apple is built for their
    hardware. This is Microsoft trying to be Apple AGAIN! Being lock-step computing!
    If we want the Apple experience we would have bought Apple. Bottom line do not
    expect a fix for this Windows Media Player window sizing EVER.

ksaldutti

Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:44 AM