Shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a department mgr trying to improve how my department handles emails.  I'm being told my ideas aren't possible on the platform we're on.  'Wait for our upgrade' is the answer I'm getting for what seems to be pretty generic, common solutions.  And I know just enough to be dangerous.  Before I push my idea I'd like to make sure it possible.

We're on Exchange 2003 w/ various clients. Many access Outlook via Citrix, It's 2003 version and some have 2007 on the desktop.  There are two problems:

I want to share a generic mailbox among multiple users and use rules to forward e-mails to appropriate folders under this generic mailbox.  When I try to share a users e-mail it does not allow me to expand the folder.  One msg I find says, "Store the OST or PST file on the local computer" 

I'm also being told that rules do not function on 2003.  Quote:

"This is not possible on the email client/Exchange server. Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 needs to have the client running in order to manage the Rules process. Newer versions of Outlook/Exchange will support offline processing."

Is that possible?  Rules can't be used on Exchange 2003? 

TIA for any insight. 

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:35 PM

Answers

• A few things:

• Exchange 2003 is beyond normal support - if you want to get things working properly, with full support, you will need to upgrade (as previously advised - in fact, I am not 100% sure I remember all the gotchas that you will run into with OL2003)
    • Outlook running on a Citrix client is not going to allow you to cache the primary mailbox locally.  Period.  This will break several things from the get-go when working with a shared mailbox (such as where the mail gets delivered when you send as that shared mailbox - look in your personal mailbox in the Outbox to find them, and they will appear to be undelivered, even when they are).
    • It's been a really long time, but I believe that you will have troubles placing rules onto an Exchange 2003 mailbox using the web client, OWA.  Due to this, you will need top open an Outlook mail profile specific to the shared mailbox on your desktop to implement rules.

Now, a bit of good news for you:  You don't need to have Outlook 2003 running against a mailbox for rules to function, so you were fed a little bit of misinformation.  Outlook (and its predecessor) was able to create server-side rules that run without the client being open.  The only drawback is that you need to be sure the rule isn't marked as a client-only rule, but for most actions in a single mailbox, this isn't an issue.  However, if you plan on moving the mail to other mailboxes (or replying to the messages automatically, in Exchange 2003), you will need a client-side rule, and therefore will need an Outlook client connected to the mailbox.  That being said, the Outlook client can have this shared mailbox open as a secondary mailbox, rather than as the primary mailbox.  So some good mixed in with the bad.

Now, I have a question - you say when you try to share the generic mailbox and it won't allow you to.  Do you have full access to the mailbox?  This is required before you can share folders in it, and can only be granted by an administrator.  (Oh, and this has nothing to do with the OST or PST.)

HTH ...

Will Martin

• Edited by Will Martin, PFE Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by guess_agn Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:16 PM