need to access server for collection from public log onI RRS feed

• Question

• I have just tried to install Steady State on one computer.  I left most of the default restrictions for the public profile and used the Disk Protection.  I set up a shortcut to Athena on the public desktop but when I try to open it access is denied.  I cannot find anything in the restrictions that prevents this from opening.  Please tell me what  I need to do to allow the public to look at the library collection.

Ann
    Friday, June 22, 2007 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Ann,

does the access denied message also mentioned that admin rights is needed to be a run Athena,if so, you need to  create a restricted shared administrative account for the public profile.

1.log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to add a public account to the Administrators group on the computer.

2.After the public account has been added to the Administrators group, use Windows SteadyState to restrict the shared administrative account access to all other programs and settings, with the exception of the increased permissions that are
    necessary to run Athena

To restrict a shared administrative account

1. Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.
    2. Click Start, point to All Programs and then point toWindows SteadyState,
    3. On the Windows SteadyState main dialog box, under User Settings, click the shared administrative user profile you created.
    4. On the General tab, under General Settings, select the Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes box.
    5. On the Windows Restrictions tab, select the High restrictions option.Under Start Menu Restrictions in the list, you may want to leave all of the restrictions selected; clearing any of the restrictions may create a securityrisk for the shared computer. However, for individual nonstandard applications you can turn off some of these restrictions.
    6. In the Hide Drives section, select the drives you want to hide from the restricted administrative user.

For security on the shared computer, you may want to configure the following restrictions to limit a restricted administrator’s access to system files and program folders:
    1. On the Windows Restrictions tab, under General Restrictions in the list, select the Disable Notepad and WordPad check box. This will prohibit the restricted administrator user account from modifying critical scripts and batch files to bypass security.
    2. On the Windows Restrictions tab, under Start Menu Restrictions, select the Prevent programs in the All Users folder from appearing
    check box and the Remove the Help and Support icon check box. This will prevent programs from appearing on the Start menu when the restricted administrative user is logged on.
    3. On the Feature Restrictions tab, click the Microsoft Office Restrictions check box. This will prohibit the restricted administrator
    from running Microsoft Office programs that are unrelated to nonstandard applications that they are running.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Ann,

does the access denied message also mentioned that admin rights is needed to be a run Athena,if so, you need to  create a restricted shared administrative account for the public profile.

1.log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to add a public account to the Administrators group on the computer.

2.After the public account has been added to the Administrators group, use Windows SteadyState to restrict the shared administrative account access to all other programs and settings, with the exception of the increased permissions that are
    necessary to run Athena

To restrict a shared administrative account

1. Log on as the Windows SteadyState administrator.
    2. Click Start, point to All Programs and then point toWindows SteadyState,
    3. On the Windows SteadyState main dialog box, under User Settings, click the shared administrative user profile you created.
    4. On the General tab, under General Settings, select the Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes box.
    5. On the Windows Restrictions tab, select the High restrictions option.Under Start Menu Restrictions in the list, you may want to leave all of the restrictions selected; clearing any of the restrictions may create a securityrisk for the shared computer. However, for individual nonstandard applications you can turn off some of these restrictions.
    6. In the Hide Drives section, select the drives you want to hide from the restricted administrative user.

For security on the shared computer, you may want to configure the following restrictions to limit a restricted administrator’s access to system files and program folders:
    1. On the Windows Restrictions tab, under General Restrictions in the list, select the Disable Notepad and WordPad check box. This will prohibit the restricted administrator user account from modifying critical scripts and batch files to bypass security.
    2. On the Windows Restrictions tab, under Start Menu Restrictions, select the Prevent programs in the All Users folder from appearing
    check box and the Remove the Help and Support icon check box. This will prevent programs from appearing on the Start menu when the restricted administrative user is logged on.
    3. On the Feature Restrictions tab, click the Microsoft Office Restrictions check box. This will prohibit the restricted administrator
    from running Microsoft Office programs that are unrelated to nonstandard applications that they are running.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:21 AM
  • I'm keeping your instructions in case I have this problem again, but yesterday when I went back and reinstalled the shortcut the way I have always done, it worked ok on the public logon.  I must have had a couple of bad days...Thank you for your response.  I'm sure I'll have other questions.

Ann
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:34 AM