none
Visual Studio 2015 Community, can´t get sound to work RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get sound into my project, but I am getting an "mf.dll missing"-error and some reference to media foundation. I am running Windows 7 Professional N, and was informed when chatting with Microsoft support that this might be the issue. So I downloaded the media foundation pack, even though I didn´t really want to : I did install Windows 7 N for a reason. But when I try to install it, I get a message saying "this update is not applicable on your computer". Has anyone else come across this issue, and/or knows a solution?

Edit : I´m using MonoGame within VS btw

• Edited by buffelapa Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:52 AM
    • Moved by lake Xiao Friday, April 1, 2016 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Buffelapa,

>>I am running Windows 7 Professional N, and was informed when chatting with Microsoft support that this might be the issue.

It seems like the issue is not related to your VS 2015 Community. It is more related to your windows system? Am I right?

>>I did install Windows 7 N for a reason. But when I try to install it, I get a message saying "this update is not applicable on your computer".

I did a research for the error message, and I found a possible workaround for your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3057448

In addition, Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools.

For your issue, I suggest you'd better post it to the Windows forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

• Edited by lake Xiao Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:50 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:50 AM
  • Hello, and thanks for your answer Xiao.

It´s true that it seems to be a Windows-based problem, however I only have issues with audio in Virtual Studio, all other programs have no problems. Listening to music, watching movies, playing games and any other form of sound I can think of is working perfectly.

It´s quite frustrating since I´m working on a project this entire semester, where we will be doing a game in MonoGame, and of course I, due to Murphy´s Law, am responsible for audio...

When I transfer the project to my desktop at home it works like a charm, so it´s not the code. So it is some files missing on this laptop, files that I can not install for unknown reasons. Does anyone know if there is a workaround when it comes to the windows media feature pack? I mean, if it wont install, is there somewhere I can get the parts "out of the box" as in not in the executable from Microsoft that wont install, and then manually put them where they need to be?

I checked the link you posted, and the error message there is the same as the one I get, but there isn´t really a solution providing any way to fix it.

Ps.

If any moderator feels this would fit better in some other section of the forum, please feel free to move it there.

Ds.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:45 AM
  • Hi buffelapa,

>>Does anyone know if there is a workaround when it comes to the windows media feature pack?

From your description, the problem is not in the code in your project. And it's more related to the windows media package on your laptop. 

I moved your thread to the win7 IT pro media forum, I think your will get a better answer there.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

First, We need to download the proper one for your Windows 7 Professional N, please refer to this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.grouppolicy.aspx

If this package still fail to install, please post back the %windir%\Windowsupdate.log and  %windir%\Logs\CBS\cbs.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:32 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, and thanks for your reply, and sorry for it taking so long for me to reply in return.

I checked the link you posted, but did not find a way to fix my problem anywhere there?

It was an article on managing hardware restrictions via group policy, written 2 years before the release of Windows 7 and without any obvious download link that seemed to be directly related to my issue. If I managed to miss it and it´s indeed there, could you please inform me which link specifically you would propose that I click?

Still having the same problem and it´s rather annoying, thinking I might have to upgrade to Windows 10 to get around it, which sucks since I like the look and feel of Windows 7 and got it for that particular reason.

Saturday, April 9, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Here is the onedrive-link to the two log-files you asked for :

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CD36974B5A90E0EF!110&authkey=!AFB1tW6Sh5xJ_jU&ithint=folder%2c

Saturday, April 9, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Just to make sure that you tried the correct package, here's the link to the Media Feature Pack download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

First, select the language corresponding to your system. Then click Download and choose the correct option: the package having x64 in its name is for the 64-bit edition of Windows, x86 is for the 32-bit version. Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:18 PM