Bluescreen upgrading from Vista Home Premium RTM to Vista Ultimate RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium which came preinstalled on my Gateway MT6821 laptop to Vista Ultimate. When it seems to be almost finished doing the upgrade I get a blue screen saying that STWRT.SYS is the culprit. It seems to be the driver for my onboard audio.  What can I do to force the installation? The file info reads:

File decription: NDRC
    Type: System File
    File Version: 6.10.5276.0
    Product Name: C-Major Audio
    Product Version 1.0.5276.0 nd534 cp 1
    Copyright: Copyright(c) 2004-2006, Sigma Tel, Inc.
    Size 793 KB
    Date Modified 11/7/2006 8:14pm
    Language English (United States)
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:48 PM

All replies

• I had the same issue and was able to finish the upgrade by removing the driver.  The system was bombing out when the Audio Driver was installed during the PNP portion of the Vista installation.  I was able to resove the issue by removing the upgraded driver that game with the Gateway. 

If you go into Device manager and right click on the Audio Device->Uninstall.  Check the box that says, "Delete the driver software for this device."  I had to do this twice; for some the reason the device came back right after the uninstall.

After that re-run the upgrade and it should finish without the BSOD.

Regards, -john lockett

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:30 PM
  • I have had the same problem. I purchased an MT6821 yesterday from Best Buy and decided to purchase the Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate. It appears to get through the whole update process until the BSOD during the "Completing Install" portion of the process.

I have removed the Sigma Tel driver (using stwrt.sys) and am about to attempt the upgrade for the third time tonight (what a waste of 4 hours of my life).

We will see how this works...

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:19 AM
  • I was having a similar problem with a new Gateway ML6703. 

If you go the the Gateway website there are updated drivers available for virtually all the installed hardware components, including a new BIOS for that model.

I downloaded and installed all the new drivers and the upgrade then completed successfully.

Regards

Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  capteeou wrote:
    I am trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium which came preinstalled on my Gateway MT6821 laptop to Vista Ultimate. When it seems to be almost finished doing the upgrade I get a blue screen saying that STWRT.SYS is the culprit. It seems to be the driver for my onboard audio.  What can I do to force the installation? The file info reads:

Size 793 KB
    Monday, March 26, 2007 10:00 AM
  •  capteeou wrote:
    I am trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium which came preinstalled on my Gateway MT6821 laptop to Vista Ultimate. When it seems to be almost finished doing the upgrade I get a blue screen saying that STWRT.SYS is the culprit. It seems to be the driver for my onboard audio.  What can I do to force the installation? The file info reads:

Size 793 KB
    Monday, March 26, 2007 10:00 AM
  • On my device manager i have 3 drivers installed. I assume that the STWRT.Sys file is related to the driver by "sigma tel" but that file is actually not shown in the device manager. How do i know what driver to delete and how did you reinstall the drivers after the upgrade was completed.

My PC is not a gateway PC but the scenario described is exactly the same problem i am having. Assuming that your upgrade was successfully completed can you just elaborate on the steps you took to get your PC back to square one after the upgrade. thanks much.....

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:48 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with my Win Vista OS. I have the Emachine with Intel, bought it last year. I've tried about 4 times to get this right. When I thought I uninstalled my sigmatel audio, it still wouldn't let me do it. Since Sigmatel Audio

came with this. Do I have an alternative? Or should I try and get it back. I can't hear a thing without it.

Best regards, Deb

Monday, March 10, 2008 7:13 PM