Finale 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone attempted to sequence Finale 2008? I continue to get the following error from Finale 2008 even after the application runs perfectly fine inside the sequencer and also the streaming stage.

Finale

Failed to start VST engine. VST services are unavailable.

I have been unable to find anything out there on sequencing this software package and help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike P.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

See this thread;

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=189103

It explains in greater detail what the error message means - perhaps you can verify that against what your package contains ?

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Thanks for posting that thread. I am not actually having incompatibility issues with windows.

The error I mentioned above only happens when I create the sequenced package and publish it.I am able to run finale 2008 perfectly fine on the windows 7 sequencer before creating the sequenced package. I have double checked on the licensing/registration issue to be sure things were working there and they are.

I am running out of ideas on this. I know someone out there has sequenced this application before though.

Mike P.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hello,

If you read the entire thread there is a qoute;

The VST engine is the FinaleVSTHost.dll file. The error message means, that this file is either not present in the main Finale folder, not registered (Vista Registry) properly or just doesn't run on Vista

This gives an indication that such an error message could relate to the above file - where as one of the possibilities is that its not compatible with the operating system (as you stated - not applicable in your scenario).

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I did notice the comment about the FinaleVSThost.dll file, and the file is in the correct location.

Also as you mentioned, the Vista portion of this quote is not applicable. I am using a 32bit win7 machine where finale 2008 runs great when you install straight to the vm, or while running the application in monitoring mode/streaming. It stops working as soon as the application is packaged and published to the app v server.

Mike P.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hello,

Is the file located while the application is executing?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:22 PM
  • I believe so as I do not see an error stating that the file is not found. The only error I get is the one listed above.

Edit: Also when i unpackage the application to edit the package the file is still there.

Mike P.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hello,

If you use process monitor to review system activity while starting the virtualized package of Finale - can you then confirm that the file is located?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I have used the program mentioned above and I do not see the FinaleVSThost.dll listed as a missing file, but I do see HKCU\Software\Citrix\SessionSfr\2 listed often as missing. I have researched that particular reg key and I have found nothing on it. There is however a HKCU\Software\Citrix\SessionS\2, but that is not the same thing.

Mike P.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hello,

I suggest that you investigate what the error message means - apart from the above suggestion and see if any other scenario can be applicable to this specific scenario
    /Znack
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I have used the program mentioned above and I do not see the FinaleVSThost.dll listed as a missing file, but I do see HKCU\Software\Citrix\SessionSfr\2 listed often as missing. I have researched that particular reg key and I have found nothing on it. There is however a HKCU\Software\Citrix\SessionS\2, but that is not the same thing.

Mike P.
    HKCU\Software\Citrix\SessionSfr\{#} is a registry key that is created whenever a citrix session is started and deleted when the session is over.  It contains information about the session itself and is used by Citrix software to manage that session.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:30 PM