Branchcache requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use Branchcache using the following config:

Windows Small Business Server 2008 SP2 (Head office DC)
    Windows 2008 R2 standard (Branch office member server)
    Windows 7 Enterprise Client

I know you need 2008 R2 and Win7 at the branch but can not see any requirements for the HQ Domain Controller. I assume this config will not work because SBS is not an R2 product.  I do not see the clarrification in the design guide.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/ee307962(WS.10).aspx

Thanks, 

Don Murphy

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Don --

The BranchCache requirements described in the design guide are for the servers and client operating systems that you use to deploy BranchCache. BranchCache does not require you to deploy a domain controller, it only requires the following:

BranchCache in distributed cache mode: the content server(s) must be a WS08 R2 based machine, as described in the design guide in detail. In addition, the client computers must be running Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate.

BranchCache in hosted cache mode: the content server(s) and the hosted cache server must be WS08 R2 based computers (per design guide) and clients must be running Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate.

Thus your clients will log on to your domain normally, and BranchCache operations are separate from that issue.

James McIllece

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:01 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:12 PM