Please Help Me With Win 7 Freezes/Pauses RRS feed

• Question

• I have intermittent pauses and freezes in Win 7 Ultimate SP1. Basic system specs: Intel DH67BL, I52500K, 16GB DDR3 (KVR1333D3N9/4G), 500GB RAID 0, 1TB RAID 1, and Standalone 2TB using Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller.

- Windows starts up normal. If I leave it for a while it will freeze, though I can move the mouse. If I leave it like this eventually the mouse freezes and I have to hard restart.

- When I first notice the freeze (could be within 15 to 20 minutes) even with no programs running, if I CTRL+ALT+DEL the option screen will pop up within a minute. If I escape from that I have about 10 seconds to open up an elevated command prompt to run XPERF. During this time if it freezes again I can just repeat until I have run a stackwalk (XPERF -on Latency -stackwalk Profile).

- Upon exiting the xtackwalk (XPERF -d filename.etl), the computer will run perfectly fine for hours with no freezes. However at times when switching programs, loading websites, or browsing folders it may "think" for a bit but then works fine.

-As mentioned, If I let it run and don't try to get out of the freeze the system will completely freeze up and I have to hard restart. There is NEVER a BSOD.

-I've run full CHKDSKS, MEMTESTS, complete WIN 7 Reinstall, Driver Untinstall and fresh reinstall of the latest versions and I cannot seem to find the problem.

-I'm not an XPERF guru, but in looking at both CPU Sampling and DPC CPU iaStor.sys is high on the list. I don't want to disable this since it's in relation to the Intel/Windows RAID communication, though I may be wrong.

-I should mention that the computer will never freeze with a load on it. For instance if I have Photoshop and Premier open with large projects I can leave the thing overnight and it will never ever freeze.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

• Edited by charzip Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:40 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this issue persist when you boot the computer in Safe Mode? This will help us determine whether the 3rd party software cause this.

You may also try to update iaStor.sys to latest version.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hello, just figured I'd update on this.

After trying safe mode and uninstalling/installing all drivers etc, reinstalling (yet again) Win7, the problem remained.

However I am now running stable after putting WIN 7 on a USB drive, removing my RAID 0 setup, formating both drives, then resetting back to RAID 0 and installing WIN 7.

The reason I can think of: I recently changed my motherboard. Even though I did a clean install (more than once) of Win 7, I suspect that the onboard RAID driver was causing the problem (which also made sense given the iaStor.sys). I had bought another Intel board so I could keep plug and play the current RAID config but apparently it caused problems on my RAID 0. My RAID 1 on the other hand has no problems.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:26 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue persist when you boot the computer in Safe Mode? This will help us determine whether the 3rd party software cause this.

You may also try to update iaStor.sys to latest version.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hello, just figured I'd update on this.

After trying safe mode and uninstalling/installing all drivers etc, reinstalling (yet again) Win7, the problem remained.

However I am now running stable after putting WIN 7 on a USB drive, removing my RAID 0 setup, formating both drives, then resetting back to RAID 0 and installing WIN 7.

The reason I can think of: I recently changed my motherboard. Even though I did a clean install (more than once) of Win 7, I suspect that the onboard RAID driver was causing the problem (which also made sense given the iaStor.sys). I had bought another Intel board so I could keep plug and play the current RAID config but apparently it caused problems on my RAID 0. My RAID 1 on the other hand has no problems.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:26 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:26 AM