windows 7 shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• When i shutdown, the system logs off immediately, but takes a good about 1 minute for the system to shutdown completely. I have a dell inspiron 1540. before updating my OS from MICROSOFT website, it used to shutdown quite fast. Help...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:45 PM

Answers

• The more stuff you install and do with your system over time, the more stuff has to be terminated, saved, etc. when you shut it down.  Unless you saw it jump hugely all at once, I think what you're seeing is more or less normal.  Systems don't shut down instantaneously.

You could consider Sleeping or Hibernating your system instead...  That's often quite a bit quicker than a full shutdown.  I don't usually propose putting systems to Sleep because that sometimes seems to bring about more problems - things that don't quite work right after waking it back up.

The Windows Help system (search for "Hibernate") will show you how to configure your system to allow Hibernation, as it may be set for Hybrid Sleep, and with that configured the Hibernate setting won't show.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 3, 2012 6:09 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:53 PM