Do I need Client Access Licenses without Active Directory?


  • If I have a single server setup with Windows Server 2016 Standard without Active Directory in the environment, do I still need client access licenses if users are using the server for file shares?


    Friday, February 24, 2017 3:00 AM


All replies

  • Probably, yes. Active directory wouldn't have much to do with it.

     Better to ask a trained licensing specialist rather than rely on anonymous forums user opinions.




    Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

    Friday, February 24, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Definitely yes.

    Microsoft Product Terms is where to find the definitive answer to ALL MS licensing questions.

    Mike J


    • Marked as answer by kungpow112 Friday, February 24, 2017 7:29 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

    the ONLY exception for which do you don't need CALs for files sharing is: using the file sharing Server as WEB Server without authentification.

    the Server configured to run Web Workloads do not require CALs.  Web workloads, also referred to as an internet web solution, are publically accessible (e.g. accessible outside of the firewall) and consist only of web pages, web sites, web applications, web services, and/or POP3 mail serving.  Access to content, information, and/or applications within the internet web solution must be publically accessible.  In other words, they cannot be restricted to you or your affiliate’s employees.



    Friday, February 24, 2017 2:29 PM