none
DPM Compatibility tool download RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I've been searching the forums and the internet to no avail. Does anyone know where can I download the Tape compability tool from DPM 2012 and 2010? The site that supposedly has it (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733581.aspx) sends me to the main page of DPM 2010 instead of what I'm looking for. I've installed DPM 2012 and can't find the tool installed so I assumed it's a separate download as before.

Is there an updated link? Do I need to install another module of System Center to access it?

Thanks a lot for your time.

-Alejandro

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can download the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoZT213dFeIgQCxDvmpuszaGrR4

For Standalone drive.
    =====================

Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\tape######## is the symbolic name of the tape drive to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Tape2147483646 /SA

For tape library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Description of the tests.

Test 1: Basic Configuration
    This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
    At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:
    • Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
    • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
    • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

Test 2: Mount/Dismount
    This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.

Test3: Drive Cleaning
    A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.

Test4: I/E Media
    This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.

Test5: I/O
    This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability.  Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.
     Warning
    This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.

Once complete, The LibraryTestTool-#-Curr.errlog files are located in the directory you ran the tool from.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can download the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoZT213dFeIgQCxDvmpuszaGrR4

For Standalone drive.
    =====================

Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system.

Run the following command, where \\.\tape######## is the symbolic name of the tape drive to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Tape2147483646 /SA

For tape library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Description of the tests.

Test 1: Basic Configuration
    This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
    At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:
    • Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
    • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
    • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

Test 2: Mount/Dismount
    This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.

Test3: Drive Cleaning
    A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.

Test4: I/E Media
    This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.

Test5: I/O
    This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability.  Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.
     Warning
    This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.

Once complete, The LibraryTestTool-#-Curr.errlog files are located in the directory you ran the tool from.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:03 PM
  • I've downloaded the file and it looks like it's the same tool as before. Can I safely assume that no changes to the tool were made between DPM 2010 and 2012?
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

There are no changes to the tool because there are no new requirements for tape libraries to be supported by DPM 2012 / sp1

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:50 PM
  • Thank you very much. It was exactly what I needed. Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:24 PM