Cant login with Skype for Business 2016 (KB2566790) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I bought, installed and activated Office 2016 Professional Plus (single license) on my laptop and it works great. All besides Skype for Business 2016 (Sfb) . I cant login. ("SFB couldnt find a SFB Server for <domain>. There might be an issue with the Domain Name Server. See KB2566790...")

I found a post that told me I had to make DNS records pointing to webdir.online.lync.com and sip.online.lync.com. So I did that but still no luck.

I ran the Microsoft connection analyzer tool. It sais the DNS resolve is good, but it cant obtain a SSL certificate.

I get the feeling I need an extra subscription to use SFB2016, is that correct?

I contacted Microsoft support about 4 times by telephone and chat, spoke to ~20 different people and just got transferred and transferred and transferred to the next person. Oh man, that was frustrating. Now I'm here hoping that I will find knowledge!

Monday, February 5, 2018 6:42 AM

Answers

• Hi TDEX Maurice,

Yes,you need a license called skype for business plan for the users that need to use the skype for business client.Please open the admin center with an administrator account.select “User”->open active user->click user that cannot login SFB like the following screenshot,then click the Edit,check the skype for business license has been given the user like the following picture.

If you want to know about the license about the SFB online or SFB  on-premise servers ,you could refer to the following link.

https://www.pei.com/2017/08/skype-for-business-licensing-premises-cloud/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:00 AM

All replies

• What Office 365 license is assigned to your user?  The license needs to include Skype for Business Online.

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:18 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I don't have Office365. I bought the single license Office 2016 Professional Plus. I know that SFB2016 was installed when I installed from setup.office.com, but now i'm not sure is that Office suite lets me use SFB.

Monday, February 5, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Does your organisation have Skype for Business (either on-prem or cloud), and has your account been enabled for Skype for Business?
    Monday, February 5, 2018 3:24 PM
  • Neither

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:49 AM
  • Hi TDEX Maurice,

Yes,you need a license called skype for business plan for the users that need to use the skype for business client.Please open the admin center with an administrator account.select “User”->open active user->click user that cannot login SFB like the following screenshot,then click the Edit,check the skype for business license has been given the user like the following picture.

If you want to know about the license about the SFB online or SFB  on-premise servers ,you could refer to the following link.

https://www.pei.com/2017/08/skype-for-business-licensing-premises-cloud/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:20 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help. Assumptions got in the way (again). I think it's weird that when I buy a software suite and install it, there is also other software installed which i cant use without extra licensing. But I was the sleeper in this case.

Thanks again !

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:39 AM
  • You are welcome.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:17 AM