Client Computer Backup is not running as scheduled RRS feed

• Question

• I have 23 computers connected to my Essentials server. I began to notice that every computer is not backed up every day. Usually it's only 4 or 5 computers.  I have increased my backup window from (6pm to 7am) to (5pm to 8am).   It appears to be random, but computers that are backed up late in the backup window are likely not going to get backed up in the next cycle.  I have reviewed the event viewer for computers not backed up and the task doesn't even get started.  These computers are desktops, online, and not hibernating or asleep.  Here is a example of three computers:

Computer 1 (Windows Server Backup Task is scheduled to start every day at 5:30 pm).  In the backup window (12/18 5pm to 12/19 8am) the computer is backed up at 12/19 at 6:21 am.  The backup task did not run in the backup window (12/19 5pm to 12/20 8am).

Computer 2 (Windows Server Backup Task is scheduled to start every day at 5:10 pm).  In the backup window (12/18 5pm to 12/19 8am) the computer is backed up at 12/19 at 7:08am.  The backup task did not run in the backup window (12/19 5pm to 12/20 8am).

Computer 3 (Windows Server Backup Task is scheduled to start every day at 5:08 pm).  In the backup window (12/18 5pm to 12/19 8am) the computer is backed up at 12/19 at 5:47am.  The backup task did not run in the backup window (12/19 5pm to 12/20 8am).

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that scheduled client backup did not run and this happens on several random devices.

>I have reviewed the event viewer for computers not backed up and the task doesn't even get started.
    Scheduled backup task did not start and no specific error about it.

In general, network client computers are backed up one after another. And on Dashboard – DEVICES, we can check Backup status of each device.

Please confirm that if there is any error/message displayed under “Dashboard – DEVICES - Backup status” about problematic client.

If there is any anti-virus/protection/scanning software on your environment, both server and client, please try to disable them temporarily, and confirm that if problem will happen again.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that scheduled client backup did not run and this happens on several random devices.

>I have reviewed the event viewer for computers not backed up and the task doesn't even get started.
    Scheduled backup task did not start and no specific error about it.

In general, network client computers are backed up one after another. And on Dashboard – DEVICES, we can check Backup status of each device.

Please confirm that if there is any error/message displayed under “Dashboard – DEVICES - Backup status” about problematic client.

If there is any anti-virus/protection/scanning software on your environment, both server and client, please try to disable them temporarily, and confirm that if problem will happen again.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, December 25, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:53 AM
  • Well, after considerable investigating of the start and stop times of the backups, this is what I have determined:

1. Backups do run one after another...one starts within a few seconds after another completes.

2. My backup window starts at 5 PM and ends at 8 AM.  Backups generally start around 5 PM, but a new backup task will not start after 6 AM.  Each client backup is taking about 45 minutes.  So, I don't know if that's because the server is busy doing other things. 

3. If there is insufficient time for a backup to run, it will surely run the next day near the beginning of the backup window, but not necessarily first.

4. Backups are scheduled tasks on the client computers, triggered daily by time, but the server somehow determines when they actually run.

5. I guess, by default, when computers are connected to the server, all drives are flagged to be backed up, even the recovery partitions.

So the bottom line is that my backup window is too small for all computers to get backed up on a given day.  I will uncheck the backup of the recovery partition, which will help.  I wish there was a way to prioritize certain clients over others, but I cannot find a way to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

>I wish there was a way to prioritize certain clients over others.
    As far as I know, there are several factors which affect specific/detail client automatic backup time, including:
    1. Time period to do scheduled client backup which is configured on Essentials Server.
    2. Client priority specified in registry.
    3. Number of days since last successful backup.

That means, factor 2 and 3 mainly determine detail client backup queue/order. By default, all clients have same priority configuration in registry. In such condition, client can be scheduled ahead of others if backup has not occurred in a long time.

If you wish to modify factor 2 - Client priority specified in registry, you can manually add a REG_DWORD called Priority under below location on client:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup

Note:
    Default value on client is 3. Valid values are from 1 to 5 with 1 being the highest priority.

Note:
    Please back up registry before any change. you can restore from backup in order to undo the change if there is any problem happens later.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:51 AM