SCOM 2007 R2 on windows server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installing SCOM 2007 R2 on Windows 2008 R2 on Hyper-v,and SQL 2005 SP3.

The prequisite indicates at SQL is required as it's already installed and all servers can ping each other,when i went through installation it gave me prerequisite did not pass and when i checked details it's the same issue SQL Server is required.

Help Pls
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:04 AM

Answers

• You shoud install DB on separate SQL server first. Use DBCreateWizard.exe ( located on the CD - In the \SupportTools folder)
    http://OpsMgr.ru/
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Step one in setting up OM is to install the Operational database.  You need to run this install on the SQL server you plan to use.  Next step is to install the management server.  This does not and should probably not be installed on the same server you install the Operational DB on.
    Rob Kuehfus | System Center Operations Manager | Setup and Deployment Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• SQL 2005 SP3 is supported, but prerquisite checker have a bug. You can:
    1. Install all components on SQL 2005 SP2 and then upgrade your SQL Server to SP3
    OR
    2. Run MOM.MSI to install the components without prereq check.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Actually the message i get is:

Could not get SQL Server Instance name

I've installed SQL 2008 didn't work and gave me the same message,then i installed SP 1 for SQL 2008 and the same message.

I made sure of the SQL Server is running and TCP/IP enabled and pipe name too but still the same.

I have SCCM installed and working fine but when it comes to SCOM can't get sql server instance name !!!!
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Is your SQL Server installed as named instance?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Default Instance

Actually i've read that SCOM R2 isn't supported on Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller or Platform installation,so i've reinstalled a windows 2008 SP2 DC and Platform windows 2008 and SQL 2008 SP1

and they same issue came (couldn't get SQL Server instance Name)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Here's what i have 1- windows 2008 SP2 as Domain Controller 2- Windows 2008 SP2 + SQL Server 2008 SP1 3- Windows 2008 SP2 for SCOM R2 which can't be installed After creating instance name for SQL Server still the same message (Couldn't get SQL Server Instance Name) as if there's no SQL installed at all Firewall is turned off on all servers
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Now i've installed SCOM R2 on the same server where SQL 2008 SP1

Actually i wanted to know is it to be installed on the same server where SQL server?

As on the Check prerequistes and if i chose Operational Database or Reporting i can see SQL Server Name is the SCOM (local Machine) and not the SQL Server.

So can someone clarify for me the right and what's the cause of the problem i have as i've looked here and there and i couldn't manage to find something
    • Proposed as answer by Rob Kuehfus Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rob Kuehfus Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Yes, you have to run the Database setups directly on the SQL Server they cannot be run remotely.
    Rob Kuehfus | System Center Operations Manager | Setup and Deployment Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Rob Kuehfus Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:15 PM
  • This is a good point i want to understand please

SCOM 2007 R2 installed on the same server where SQL?

No seperate servers for SQL and other for SCOM?

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:29 PM
  • You shoud install DB on separate SQL server first. Use DBCreateWizard.exe ( located on the CD - In the \SupportTools folder)
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Step one in setting up OM is to install the Operational database.  You need to run this install on the SQL server you plan to use.  Next step is to install the management server.  This does not and should probably not be installed on the same server you install the Operational DB on.
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:34 PM
  • yes, you can install scom on windows 2008 R2 with a remote sql.

First you install sql server then run SCOM setup on sql server which creates the database for scom. When you run the setup, only seleft the database option and disable other option like RMS and web console. After completing the setup successfullly, verify that  in sql operationsManager database has been created. Then run the setup of scom on scom server and disable the database option and select all remaining with install this component and dependent on this systems. During setup, database server name will be asked then you must give the sql server name there.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Syed Fahad Ali Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:29 PM
  •  

yes u can easily install scom R2 on server 2008 R2

normally SQL 2005 sp1 and SQL 2008 sp1 used for SCOM R2.

if u have SQL 2008 R2.u must run the dbcreatewizard (( located on the CD - In the \SupportTools folder) on SQL mechine Wizard create the operationsmanager Database.(notice that u have to user rights in SQL Login in SQL security and roles in SQL) before run the scom setup.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:50 AM
  • thanks fahad

i have already solve this issue .

solution

user rights issue that y prereq shows that sql not installed.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Always Welcome. Good to knw that ur problem has been resolved.
    Regards, Syed Fahad Ali
    Monday, February 21, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Hi Faizan,

Can you help me what exactly you did to solve the issue ??

user rights issue ??

I am having same problem with Windows 2008 R2 as DC but if i use Windows 2003 as DC there is no problem.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:18 PM