none
MS Project 2016 - % Work Complet - Report RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i want MS Project to generate a report about the % work completed before baseline is made. For this purpose, the best i found is using the "Budget work report" and in the excel, calculated myself the (Work/Cumulative Work) over the life of the project !! I did not find an easiest way to do this.

Is someone know a better way or an already MS Project report i can use for this purpose ?

Regards,

Sebastien

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:48 PM

Answers

• Rolle,

The terms "easy" and "better" are a bit subjective, but you can do this with VBA, including generating a report in Excel. In my opinion it is a lot easier than manual iteration (Trevor's method) or using Visual Reports (your current method).

John

Monday, March 6, 2017 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Rolle,

% work complete is already calculated, just insert is a column and away you go!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Friday, March 3, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

thank for helping me. I wondering if you can give me more information about where i can found the column you mentions.

What i looking for is not precisely the % work complete (as the % work completed is the actual work divise by the work). Actualy the project is not yet start (no actual work) and no baseline has been done. 

I need to know, for each month of this 3 years-project, the "planned" %work completed using the work divided by the cumulative work.

thank

Saturday, March 4, 2017 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

I think you've found the best way to do what you want.

Saturday, March 4, 2017 8:11 PM
  • % work complete is not work divided by cumulative work. It is actual work divided by total work where total work is actual work + remaining work.

You have a plan with no actual work yet recorded.

Set the status date to one week after the start date of the project. Project, project information.

Display the status date as a vertical red line on the Gantt Chart. Format, gridlines etc.

Display the % work complete column in the entry table, or switch to the work table.

Select all tasks. Click on the "mark on track" button on the ribbon.

The % work complete is the planned % work complete up to that status date.

Now change the status date to the end of the first month. Repeat mark on track.

Now change the status date to the end of the second month. Repeat mark on track.

... and repeat and so on for 36 months.

Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:17 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Probably what the user wants is % Planned work complete, by period.  He seems to have found a way to get that using visual reports in the 1st instance, and wants to know if there is a better/alternative way of getting the data. 

Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:33 PM
  • Yes, this is right. I used the way trevor explains the first time i wanted to get the "planned % work completed". But i seeking an easiest way to do this, if possible in a report of MS Projet, in order to obtain directly, in a report, this information.

The "better" way i found is to manually compute (Work/Cumulative Work) in an Excel Visual report. However, there is still the need to modify the report... it is neither straightforward nor simple.

Sebastien

Sunday, March 5, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Rolle,

The terms "easy" and "better" are a bit subjective, but you can do this with VBA, including generating a report in Excel. In my opinion it is a lot easier than manual iteration (Trevor's method) or using Visual Reports (your current method).

John

Monday, March 6, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Thank for your help.

Sébastien

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Rolle,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:05 AM