Sequenced Outlook 2003 issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At my company we have the following scenario: We use the MS Office 2010 natively and would be great if we can also use the Office 2003, especially the Outlook. The reason why is irrelevant I guess, but its important. So I built up an App-V Management Server in our infra. I've already sequenced many different sw packages, and these are working fine, except the Outlook 2003. When I try to use the virtualized Outlook on a machine where the Office 2010 has been installed natively, I always get the same error:

At the first few tests I got the "Outlook cannot open your default email folders" message, but after a while I always get the msg above. Of course I looked after these errors on technet and tried to fixed them and I tried to sequence in different ways but nothing has been helped.

If I use the virtualized Office 2003 package on a machine where natively an Office 2007 is found, everything are working great.

What should I do? How should I sequence the Office 2003?

Any idea?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:32 AM

Answers

• Multiple versions of Outlook aren't supported whether virtualised or not; however you'll have to ensure that Outlook 2003 is completely isolated from any installed version of Office.

Do do that ensure the following locations are captured in the Office/Outlook 2003 package:

• %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook
    • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Signatures (double check this one)
    • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem
    • %Program Files%\Microsoft Office
    • C:\Windows\System32\MAPI32.DLL 

You'll also have to ensure that multiple versions of Outlook aren't using the same .OST file - so ensure Outlook 2003 uses a different Local AppData location other than the default (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by clayton_farlow Monday, October 3, 2011 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:50 PM