none
MDT 2013 The source directory does not contain an identifiable operating system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using MDT 2013 and I am trying to deploy server 2008 in it. I mount my 2008 iso file, import OS, then select full set of source files, and enter D:\ . It says, "The source directory does not contain an identifiable operating system". I am sure that install.wim file is present in sources folder. What other folders/files does it need while importing OS? 

Note: it is an customized OS. It has MS hotfixes and dotnet 4.5 installation package in it. 

Chaitanya.

Chaitanya.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:19 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

I am using MDT 2013 and I am trying to deploy server 2008 in it. I mount my 2008 iso file, import OS, then select full set of source files, and enter D:\ . It says, "The source directory does not contain an identifiable operating system". I am sure that install.wim file is present in sources folder. What other folders/files does it need while importing OS? 

Note: it is an customized OS. It has MS hotfixes and dotnet 4.5 installation package in it. 

Chaitanya.

Chaitanya.

This is expected behavior because Server 2008 is unsupported in MDT 2013: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/330/What-if-I-told-you-The-OSD-Support-Matrix-for-MDT-and-ConfigMgr-is-here

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot.. what else can I say, 2013 doesnt support.. :( 

I have windows 8.1 iso, which has image.esd file and mdt says it doesnt find a valid os in it. Can  you please help me on this too??

Thanks,

Chaitanya.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:30 PM
  • I don't know what .esd files are.  WIM format is what MDT supports.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:07 PM
  • yeah mdt supports wim. But when I open my iso \sources\ folder, i see, install.esd rather than wim file. So it is not working..

Chaitanya.

Friday, May 1, 2015 7:27 PM
  • I would try different Windows 8.1 source.  If Install.esd exists then it isn't valid media.   

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Hi Glander,

I am able to install windows 8.1 OS with that iso file without any issues.. the only problem is that file has image.esd and mdt needs image.wim file. Any way to convert it?

Thanks,

Chaitanya.

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Like I said it shouldn't exist. The only suggestion I have is download media from an official source.

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:56 PM
  • i downloaded it with win 8.1 media creation tool. I downloaded win 8.1 pro x64 bit.

Chaitanya.

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Your ESD file is an electronic software download from Microsoft, which is essentially an encrypted WIM file. It's meant for an upgrade, I'm pretty sure you can't use this in MDT as a full OS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, May 4, 2015 7:27 PM
  • Your ESD file is an electronic software download from Microsoft, which is essentially an encrypted WIM file. It's meant for an upgrade, I'm pretty sure you can't use this in MDT as a full OS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thanks Dan! I was wondering what that was.  As a side note you can't use upgrade media.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:27 PM
  • oh.. thanks Glander, for the clarification.. do we have windows 8.1 iso file from MS eval version, which has wim file?

As said earlier, i downloaded x64 pro edition from media creation tool. Does enterprise or any other version have this wim file?

Chaitanya.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:50 AM
  • Pretty much any full OS will have Install.wim.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:44 PM
  • The ESD file is not encrypted, it is just stored with a different file extension.   You can convert the file to a WIM file by using DISM.

First, get some information about the ESD file:

dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.esd

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Details for image : install.esd

Index : 1
    Name : Windows 8.1 Pro
    Description : Windows 8.1 Pro
    Size : 13,185,962,705 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

This confirms that the file is indeed a WIM file and lists the images inside.   Your next step is to export the image you want to a WIM file.

dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:install.esd /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefile:install.wim

Lastly, copy the install.wim file to where the install.esd file is.

Now MDT can load the OS.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:28 PM