cannot install vista RRS feed

• Question

• hi people this 1 is killin me ive had 11 days+nights with this,right my machine is a p4 3.0ghz ht ati motherboard 1gb ram 128mb graphics.i downloaded upgrade manager and results was i could install any version of vista i wanted so i started with ultimate it gets as far as expanding files at about 29% then freezes my pc.all other versions are a less % this is really doin my head in HELP anyone

Monday, October 15, 2007 12:12 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

This issue is probably caused by hardware.

Remember that Vista cannot be installed on FAT32 partitions or dynamic volume. What about yours?

Please check if your motherboard is ACPI supported and its driver date is in Device Manager.

Your latest BIOS version can be accessed from the following site:

http://www.jetway.com.cn/product/detail.asp?id=56

You can also download the Memory Diagnostic from the following site to check your memory:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

-qqqlllmmm

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

First I would like to confirm if you are using XP now. Are you trying an Upgrade Install or Clean install of Windows Vista?

Please wait 15 minutes to check if the installation process really freezes. You can press ALT+TAB to check if there are any error messages.

If you are trying an Upgrade Install, the cause can be related to incompatible software or hardware. Try disabling all third-party programs especially anti-virus programs through msconfig and disabling un-necessary hardware devices, such as sound card, network card and printer in device manager. If the issue persists, checks viruses to remove all viruses and then uninstall all anti-virus programs.

If you are performing a Clean Install, please ensure the installation partition space is enough (>12GB). Unplug and replug the mouse and keyboard, disable un-necessary hardware devices to test the issue again. You may also need to contact the computer manufacturer to update the BIOS.

For Vista installation issues, we can try to check the SETUP*.log file to find the cause:

Here are its possible locations:

\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther

\%windir%\panther

\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback

You can press "Shift + F10" during the installation to open a command prompt and access the above log file.

-qqqlllmmm

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:51 AM
  • thanks for replying i am running xp at presant,when it freezes i have left for 1hr 10 mins and it doesnt move from were it froze i have tried to disable numerous hardware but it says unexpected error 0x0.i am going to try a new motherboard as this is the last thing i can think of as everthing else is more than enough ie cpu,ram+graphics,i have tried upgrade and clean install there is no change to outcome thanks again chris.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:56 AM
  • I've found the Vista PE environment to be picky about your hardware. Try this solution which I devised to fix a problem of my own :

Change your Memory and FSB speeds to Sync Mode. The steps change from motherboard to motherboard, so I advise you to read the manual. Also, when the time comes to move settings, do not overclock unless you know what you are doing; if anything, you'll probably need to underclock one of the two to sync them up.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:11 AM
  • thanks for replying how do you sync this as i have never done this before,as this is a serious issue with me at the moment ie frustration-anger as you felt when you couldnt sort this issue out.i have even considered aplying a hammer to my pc with my tension.i do believe that my motherboard is the problem as i mentioned in my last post so i will be trying this method when ive installed it.thanks chris

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:26 AM
  • Tell me your processor, RAM, and motherboard and I'll see if I can get instructions specifically for you.

If you don't know the specific model of your RAM, at least give me the speed (e.g., 800MHz, 533MHz)

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:33 AM
  • thanks for reply ,the cpu is a genuine pentium 4 3.0ghs ht at 800fsb,the motherboard is a ATI rc350 and the ram is 2 sticks of 512 samsung ddr ram ,graphics card is nvidia gforcr fx5500

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:40 AM
  • I can't find your motherboard on ATI's website. Can you give me a link? Also, You didn't specify the speed of your RAM.

The video card has nothing to do in the equation, but it begs the question: do you really want Vista on that system? I don't know what advisor told you you could run any version of Vista. The computer I am moving from had more or less the same specs (with an Intel motherboard and an nVidia FX5700 video card) and I'm pretty sure the upgrade advisor never gave me the ok on Vista Ultimate.

I don't doubt it can function, but it would be the same experience as playing a good game with really low settings and still having choppy frame rates: yeah you are playing it, but meh.

Anyway, if you still want to move forward, give me a link to the motherboard on ATI's website and the speed of your RAM.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:52 PM
  • hi thanks yes the motherboard is a a353dms it has ati all over it but it is from jetway,the memory sticks are pc2100 but a friend has vista and he has the same memory as me so dont think it has anything to do with speed of ram?? but who knows

Friday, October 19, 2007 12:44 AM
  •  

Hi,

This issue is probably caused by hardware.

Remember that Vista cannot be installed on FAT32 partitions or dynamic volume. What about yours?

Please check if your motherboard is ACPI supported and its driver date is in Device Manager.

Your latest BIOS version can be accessed from the following site:

http://www.jetway.com.cn/product/detail.asp?id=56

You can also download the Memory Diagnostic from the following site to check your memory:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

-qqqlllmmm

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:02 AM