none
Bitlocker - Wrong keyboard layout on first login attempt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello :).

I encrypted the harddrive of my Fujitsu U772 Ultrabook with Bitlocker today (Windows 10).

When I boot the notebook, I'm prompted to enter the BitLocker Password. But whenever I enter a "0" a "/" is added instead. After pressing enter I'm told that the password is wrong (obviously).

When I now enter a "0" on the second attempt it works and I can sign on.

Any idea why I can not enter a "0" on the first attempt? This is quite annoying.

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:34 PM

All replies

• What is your keyboard layout in windows? Needs to be EN-US when entering the BL password!

Best would be to rely on TPM+ numerical PIN and not on a password - that's more secure and not prone to keyboard layout problems.

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:33 PM
  • I have a german keyboard layout but I'm using a numeric PIN, so there should be no difference.

The mysterious thing is, that entering the "0" does not work in the first attempt, but in the second.

Unfortunately I'm not yet allowed to post screenshots or links :/.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 5:01 AM
  • Strange.

We have all german keyboard layout here, laptops and desktops - no problems with the PIN. However, since we use enhanced PINs, it could be that not so many people even use numbers.

Of course the 2nd attempt should not change anything.

What about the other numbers?

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:11 AM
  • The other numbers work fine. Only the "0" does not work on the first attempt.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 6:27 PM
  • That will be hard to solve. I would ask the laptop manufacturer if that is a known problem and if not, ask them to reproduce it.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:14 AM
  • Hi, 
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 6, 2019 2:59 PM