none
Ghost Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I wasn't even really sure what to put as the title for this thread but here's my issue.  If I run the command

Get-MailboxStatistics -Server mailserver

I get a list of mailbox statistics. I'm trying to get more information on a specific account that gets listed, but I can't find a user account for it and I can't even find a way to find it using Get-Mailbox to even get the account it's supposedly tied to.  How am I getting statistics for a mailbox that I'm not sure even exists since I can't find any other information on it.  Does anyone know how I can use the information from Get-MailboxStatistics to actually find the mailbox these statistics are coming from?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:30 PM

Answers

• when you are able to get-mailbox -identity "Ghost Mailbox", cant you find this user in EMC?

this should give you the connect AD account: 

get-mailbox -identity "Ghost Mailbox" | ft identity

else try disable-mailbox -identity "ghost mailbox" then check in disconnected mailbox. if its there you can connect with test account

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

• Marked as answer by Bemho Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

here you go..

Get-MailboxStatistics -Server servername | ft Displayname, Database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124612(v=exchg.141).aspx

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply imkottees, but it doesn't get me the information I need.  I've already run

Get-MailboxStatistics -Server mailserver | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq "Ghost Mailbox"} | fl

And I have all the properties that Get-MailboxStatistics returns for the user but I don't see any information on what account it's linked to and nothing that Get-MailboxStatistics returns seems to be usable in Get-Mailbox (that shows much more information for a users mailbox).  My problem is the statistics for this account shows it has over 2000 items and is over 2GB in size but I have no idea who this mailbox belongs to.  Looking up the display name in AD doesn't find anything. I've tried Get-Mailbox using the LegacyDN, MailboxGuid, DisplayName, that Get-MailboxStatistics returns, and none of them return any information.

What I need to find is what account this mailbox is linked to and if it's not linked to an account how does it even exist?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:09 PM
  • when you are able to get-mailbox -identity "Ghost Mailbox", cant you find this user in EMC?

this should give you the connect AD account: 

get-mailbox -identity "Ghost Mailbox" | ft identity

else try disable-mailbox -identity "ghost mailbox" then check in disconnected mailbox. if its there you can connect with test account

• Marked as answer by Bemho Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:16 PM
  • Thanks again for replying.  I tried your commands and both returned:

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Ghost Mailbox' couldn't be found on 'DC.org.com'.

But you put me on the right track.  I didn't look in disconnected mailbox and I see the mailbox in there.  Thanks for the help, never even thought of looking in there.

Thanks again!!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:22 PM
  • glad that worked, you are most welcome :)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:25 PM