none
Defective Security Update KB 2957509 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

The following Microsoft Security Update for Windows 7, 32 bit, is defective and should be withdrawn forthwith until it can be repaired or replaced:

"Security Update KB 2957509".

I have isolated this update as defective.

It produces the following error upon the second boot-up following its installation:

"Failed to connect to a windows service

Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service [sic]. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the System. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

For those who have already installed this defective update and have this issue you can resolve the problem by open Windows Update and uninstalling the update from the "Installed Updates" link (bottom of left pane).

The update is listed under the heading "Microsoft Windows".

You will need to set Windows Update to not automatically install updates, so you can see this update in the list of updates and then right-click the update and then select "Hide", to prevent it installing again.

If no updates are listed, do a fresh search for Windows updates.

I hope this will be found to be useful.

By the way, there appears to be no proper Windows 7 or Windows 7 Updates forum in which to post this discussion so I have been forced to post it in this forum.

Regards,

Robert339.

• Edited by Robert339 Friday, June 13, 2014 3:41 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 3:39 AM

All replies

• I also have had an issue with this update on Windows Vista. The start button turns into a rectangle and it is not possible to close Windows normally. Again removing the update solves the problem I had the same problem with KB2922229.
    Friday, June 13, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Same here on Vista, and again I also had this problem with KB2922229.
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:36 AM
  • I've had the same problem on vista home premium isolated to this patch. 1) it disables desktop windows manager, 2) windows can't connect to system event notification service, 3) my usb backup disk must be manually reconnected. Problem 1 can be enabled via control panel, admin services. problem 2 i didn't bother to figure out. backed off the patch. Agree they should withdraw  kb 2957509.

regards, rick

Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Ran the system file checker tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us which said it fixed numerous errors.  Then installed KB 2957509 ok.  Result.
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Ran the system file checker tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us which said it fixed numerous errors.  Then installed KB 2957509 ok.  Result.

I tried the SFC /scannow in safe mode but it only gets to 80% complete and then i get the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

The PendingDeletes folder exists but the PendingRenames folder is not there.   So I am at a loss what to do there.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:27 PM
  • I concur. This is my problem exactly. I've installed all updates separately and rebooted after each one. It's not until KB2957509 that the computer fails to come back up. It seems to start loading Windows and then just reboots and will continue to do so until I do a Windows repair.

I also tried the sfc /scannow and it did not complete stating that it could not fix all items.

Friday, June 20, 2014 3:25 AM
  • Seven months ago you claimed that KB2900986 was "defective," too. What's up with that?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:54 AM