problems inserting excel chart as word enhanced metafile, office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• ever since upgrading to word 2010, the paste special/enhanced metafile option has not worked.  word gets hung up (not responding), will shut down with an error, or if the chart is inserted the doc file will be huge (the chart is getting inserted as a very large format as opposed to how enhanced metafile SHOULD work).  is there a fix????

by the way if a suggested fix is to use gif, png, jpeg, etc these usually are NOT suitable for pdf conversion.

• Edited by utcee Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:44 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just checked this issue.

I created an Enhanced Windows Metafile(*.emf) file, with the size approach to 8 MB.

I just inserted it into a Word document by using Insert --> Pictures, and the document result in 420KB, which is still in a reasonable range. How do you think?

When I extracted the saved document, the size then increased approach to 8 MB, then I can find the embeded .emf file with full size.

-----------------------------------

If you are inserting the emf file by copy the chart from Excel and choose Paste Special in Word and choose Picture(Enhanced Metafile), I'd suggest the following:

Repair your Office see if it will fix the problem.

Start Excel and Word in safe mode and check this issue again. To do so, hold down Ctrl key and open the documents, let me know the result.

If the problem won't occur in safe mode, this behavior might be caused by some 3rd-party add-ins.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Friday, November 30, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:43 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just checked this issue.

I created an Enhanced Windows Metafile(*.emf) file, with the size approach to 8 MB.

I just inserted it into a Word document by using Insert --> Pictures, and the document result in 420KB, which is still in a reasonable range. How do you think?

When I extracted the saved document, the size then increased approach to 8 MB, then I can find the embeded .emf file with full size.

-----------------------------------

If you are inserting the emf file by copy the chart from Excel and choose Paste Special in Word and choose Picture(Enhanced Metafile), I'd suggest the following:

Repair your Office see if it will fix the problem.

Start Excel and Word in safe mode and check this issue again. To do so, hold down Ctrl key and open the documents, let me know the result.

If the problem won't occur in safe mode, this behavior might be caused by some 3rd-party add-ins.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Friday, November 30, 2012 6:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:43 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hi Max,

I think you may have misunderstood the question - it seems like utcee has a problem pasting as emf when the item in the clipboard is in another format, such as an Excel chart. Excel charts make word documents quite large if pasted as embedded charts... 

I have the same problem - if I copy a chart from excel and paste it into a Word document as an emf it usually works BUT if I copy an embedded Excel chart from a Word document and try to paste it into a new document as an emf it fails. Sometimes Office hangs but usually it just pastes the file as a bitmap sort of format instead of a scalable graphics format- which is the reason for using emf. 

Summary - sometimes pasting Excel charts as emf files in Word documents fails and instead a low-resolution bitmap (or maybe jpeg or png?) is generated.

My solution is to paste the chart into a blank document as an embedded chart, save the document as a PDF, open it in Inkscape, crop to the size of the chart and save as an emf. The resulting emf can be inserted into a Word document without any hassles and the format is retained. Plus a lot of space is saved. This is a long workaround but more reliable than what Office currently offers.

• Proposed as answer by Lloyddk Monday, January 13, 2014 8:18 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 8:18 AM