none
dpm 2010 agent installation failure on XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install an agent on a XP machine but i keep getting the error

DPMAgentInstaller failed with errorcode =0x80070643, error says: Fatal error dur
    ing installation.

Check log files in [WINDIR]Temp\MSDPM*.LOG
    Press Enter key to close the window
    The install fails from the dpm server and when installing the agent manually on the PC.  I also disabled the firewall and still no luck.  Any advice on how to resolve this?

Thanks

phill

phill
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:33 AM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks phill for send the logs over,

AddScheduledTaskForClient method return code=0x80041315
    MSI (s) (B4:84) [11:52:41:688]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:84) [11:52:41:688]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 11:52:41: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

The install is failing because he task scheduler is not running, can you please start the service and try installing agent again?

-- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by phillbl Monday, November 22, 2010 4:46 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi phillbl

Have you installed the SP2 for XP on your workstation. How much free space does your client have on the systemdrive. Are you administrator on the client when you try to do the installation?

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Phillbl,

This issue may be caused by several things. I start with checking for pending reboots. One way to check for pending reboots is to check the following registry keys. If they are not present you probably do not have any pending reboots. If present reboot the server then try the agent installation.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Once that is ruled out we need to check if the default permissions of the scheduled tasks directory altered. The permissions on %windir%\Tasks need to allow write access to the account doing the DPMRA.msi install. The the permissions are locked down this was likely done by group policies to lock down the permissions on the Tasks directory. This was done to combat the Conficker worm. Please see KB 962007 Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker worm for more details. Note: You must reset the default permissions on the Task directory. See the "After the environment is fully cleaned" section of the KB article

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:21 PM
  • hi, sp3 is installed on the xp machine.  no reboots are pending and i have resent the permissions on the tasks folder.  I am the local admin of the pc and i am installing with domain admin account.  The pc is in a different domain than the dpm but so are all the servers and desktops that it already backs up

any more ideas please??

Thanks

phill
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Can you please open the logs at [WINDIR]\TEMP\MSDPMAgentInstall.log

and search for "Value 3" and paste  the snippet with 4 lines above and below of it?

Alternatively please send the log files in [WINDIR]Temp\MSDPM*.LOG

to chanchak[at]microsoft[dot]com

-- Thanks Chandraneel Chakka[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Thanks phill for send the logs over,

AddScheduledTaskForClient method return code=0x80041315
    MSI (s) (B4:84) [11:52:41:688]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:84) [11:52:41:688]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 11:52:41: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

The install is failing because he task scheduler is not running, can you please start the service and try installing agent again?

• Marked as answer by phillbl Monday, November 22, 2010 4:46 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:13 AM