none
Microsoft Virtual PC - .SNP files are created while starting Virtual PC RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I start Microsoft Virtual PC, it takes almost 30 mins to start. I observed that there is multiple .snp files getting created in "C:\Program Files\manufacturer\EndPoint Agent\Temp" folder with size equal to virtual hard disk of Virtual PC (for me size is 15 GB). Is there a way to avoid these .snp files? System is Window XP where MS Virtual PC is installed. In Virtual PC, I have deployed Windows 2003 server. I have Symantec Anti Virus on this machine and looks like, Symantec is creating snap shots of Windows 2003 server (i.e. Virtual PC) for recovery. Sometimes MS Virutal PC is terminated abnormally but sometimes when Windows 2003 server is shutdown normally, starting Virtual PC / Windows 2003 server creates .snp files again.

Is there any way to avoid creation of .snp files?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:34 PM

All replies

• You should configure your antivirus to ignore or exclude any folders that contain VMs. 

For AV protection, you should only run an antivirus program inside the VM itself, you should never have the host AV program scanning VHDs.

Friday, June 24, 2011 4:33 AM
  • But this behavior is not apparent all the times. Sometimes .snp files are created and sometimes they aren't. Is there any special confirgure controls this?

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I am not familar with SAM, your best bet is to contact Symantec tech support for specific questions.

If you still get the slow speed/snp files after excluding your VHDs, I'd say it's AV related, so replace your AV software or contact them for help.

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:08 PM