none
Issues with an enterprise consolidated DNS, and I was wondering what the best setup is for a local DNS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone 

I am looking for some assistance in resolving and issue with our local DNS. 

About two years ago corporate decided to consolidate AD,DNS up to a centrally managed enterprise solution. Since then our site has had delays in record updates causing our patch management SCCM , remote administration tools VNC/RDP/Dameware. and auditing software to give us inconsistance solutions. When we look at the enterprise consolidation all 45 sites are consolidated under a single DNS zone.

With that being said we want to streamline DNS queries locally at our site. We had thought about standing up a DNS server and making it into a forwarder. But I am just unsure if it is going to help.

In theory we would have a local DNS server that all clients, appliances, servers would check in with for all local records. If it could not find a record like a website the dns server would go out and query the enterprise for the missing record and update its cache. In addition to that when it checks in it would update any records found on the local DNS server. 

Am i close in my understanding or am i way off ?  Any help is appreciated. I am not new to DNS in the raw but outside of general trouble shooting and initial setup I am flying blind. 

Respectfully

David Vicich

p.s. we are running windows server 2012 R2 for all services with a domain level of 2008

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

At actual, forwarder only  forward your query. The visited dns entries will store in the local cache. The cache has a TTL time. When the cache expired, the DNS entries would disappear.Of course, you could increase your TTL .

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dvici Friday, September 1, 2017 3:20 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>With that being said we want to streamline DNS queries locally at our site. We had thought about standing up a DNS server and making it into a forwarder. But I am just unsure if it is going to help.

It's a good idea.The forwarder would help you to update your missing record.

I suggest you could add multiple forwarders. e.g. public dns  ,ISP dns, authority DNS server of your enterprise.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:42 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!

Will the forwarder also update the record at the enterprise  level  ? Or will the enterprise query for an update to the record ?

Its strange for me to say this but Im almost afraid to find out that the records up top are not updating and then getting scavanged.  :)

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

At actual, forwarder only  forward your query. The visited dns entries will store in the local cache. The cache has a TTL time. When the cache expired, the DNS entries would disappear.Of course, you could increase your TTL .

Best Regards,

Frank

• Marked as answer by Dvici Friday, September 1, 2017 3:20 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Guess ill give it a shot..

Thankyou for your response Ill reply back here if everything pans out well .. if not Ill have another question to ask:)

Friday, September 1, 2017 3:21 PM