locked
Virtualized x86 won't start RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I'm trying to virtualize an app called Forum Viewer by Zeiss.
    The installer comes in two versions, one for x86 and one for x64 Windows.
    The app works fine on both x86 and x64 if I install it manually via the exe installer.

    The x64 version also works fine virtualized, but the x86 won't work.

    How can I troubleshoot this or find a way to solve this annoying problem?

    Regards
    Michael

    Friday, February 3, 2017 3:07 PM

All replies

  • Where did you sequence the x86 version, and where did you deploy it?
    If you deploy it to a x86 OS, you must also sequence it on a x86 OS.

    Roy Essers

    Friday, February 3, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Because of this scenario, I almost always sequence my applications on an x86 sequencer.  Once there are no more x86 machines left in the environment I will reconsider this approach, but this way you won't have to manage two versions of your packages.
    Friday, February 3, 2017 4:27 PM
    Moderator
  • The sequence is made on a Win 7 x86. Deploying have been tested on Win 7 x86, Win 8.1 x86 and Win 8.1 x64, same issue on all systems.

    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:02 AM
  • The app is sequenced on a Win 7 x86 machine.

    I've tried it like a 100 times =/

    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Can you try sequencing x86 version in win 7 x86 machine and x64 version in win 7 x64 and try once.

    Can you post what issue are you seeing? Procmon trace?

    Have you tried launching inside virtual bubble?


    (Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

    MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

    app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Yes, x86 version is sequenced on a Win 7 x86 machine and x64 version on Win 7 x64.

    x64 sequenced App-V package runs as expected, but x86 package doesn't run.

    The application is java based, and I can see the forum-viewer.exe process trying to startup on x86.

    At ~43mb memory use, it try to start a cmd.exe process, but fails, and then the forum-viewer.exe stops as well.

    This looks the same on x64, except the fact that the forum-viewer.exe (plus the cmd.exe process) actually starts.

    I've tried to start the app using the cmd.exe /appvve:<PACKAGEGUID_VERSION_GUID> method, no success, same "error".
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Anytime I've had a package where I couldn't even get a cmd window to open up in the virtual environment it was 1 of 2 things

    1.  A script (startve for example)

    2. Something very wrong with the VE itself.  From when I've seen it, files supposed to be in the package aren't but the client is expecting something to be there, and the whole VE just blows up.  I can give more specifics if anyone wants to know.

    I'm assuming you've taken point 1 into consideration.  For point 2, you have to enable the debug logs, then repro the error (if you haven't enabled the logs before I can tell you how - keep in mind you have to enable then repro.  Nothing is caught until you enable).
    From the 2 packages I've had with this issue, they both came straight out of the sequencer, but enabling the debug logs at least showed me clearly where the error was. 

    If that doesn't get you anywhere, try disabling the subsystems in the XML one at a time until you get a working cmd prompt.  Obviously that doesn't mean your software will work....but it can help point you in the right direction.

    PS - Of course after I posted that it occurred to me you might mean you simply went into the ve via command prompt before launching the app, which didn't work :).  Well on the off chance you meant a cmd prompt wouldn't show. 

    • Edited by agallucci Saturday, February 18, 2017 1:01 AM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:59 AM