none
Pool Takes Precedence / Sharer Takes Precedence does not work RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

Firstly I have been trawling through results of blog posts, etc., to find the answer to the below question but have not had any luck. Thus the post. 

Its seems straight forward i.e. getting pool / sharer taking precedence business working, but it isn't and what the project help says it does it does not do. I could be missing something or expecting project to do something it can't.

Background

I am using MS Project 2010

I have a resource pool file which is accessed by multiple project files. Its all good thus far. However I have the same resources being charged out at different standard rates on the different projects.  

E.g. Resource A on Project 1 is 100.00/h, Resource A on Project 2 is 150.00/h and Resource A on Project 3 is 100.00/h.

I have set up the resource pool with Resource A with the standard rate of 100.00/h.

I have the Resource Pool (open as read-only) and Project 1 and 2 files open as well.  On the Resource Pool I have "pool takes precedence" option ticked.

What I want to achieve

I want the Project 2 file that is sharing Resource A from the Resource Pool to use the project specific standard rate of 150.00/h instead of 100.00/h which appear in the pool.

How I went about it

1. I opened the Resource Pool as read-only

2. I opened Project 2 and shared resource from the Resource Pool and clicked :use resources from: <resource pool.mpp> and "sharer takes precedence"

3. I went to the resource sheet and updated the standard rate for Resource A from 100.00/h to 150.00/h <I think this is where I am going wrong>

What I expect to See

1. In the resource sheet of Project 2, Resource A appears as 150.00/h

2. In the Resource Pool, Resource A appears as 100.00/h

3. Resource Pool will have "pool has precedence" checked and Project 2 would have "Sharer takes precedence" checked.

What I do see / experience

1. When I change to "sharer takes precedence" in Project 2, the radio button in the Resource Pool automatically changes to "sharer takes precedence". It does not remain as "pool takes precedence" for the resource pool.

2. The Resource A standard rate in Project 2 that I updated to 150.00/h is now reflected in the Resource Pool as 150.00/h as well instead of keeping Resource A at 100.00/h.

Question

1. How do I have the  same resource i.e. Resource A in the resource pool appear in Project 1 as 100.00/h and Project 2 as 150.00/h?

Looking forward to your help.

Best

Prad

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:41 AM

Answers

• Prad,

You want to use the resource cost rate table.  In your pool, you will setup Resource A with two cost rate tables (rate table A is the default).  To get to the cost rate tables, double-click on the resource and select the Costs tab.  Set the resource up on cost rate table A as 150/hr.  Then select cost rate table B.  In this table insert 100/hr in the Std Rate column.

When assigning the resource to a project where you want to use the 100/hr rate, you can assign them first then change the cost rate table.  If you want to do it one at a time (very tedious) double-click on the assignment of the resource to the task in the Resource Usage or Task Usage views.  The more economical way of doing this is to use the Resource Usage view, insert the Cost Rate Table column and make the changes in the same manner you would an Excel spreadsheet, using the Auto Fill feature.

You will still have the pool taking precedence.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:23 AM

All replies

• Prad,

You want to use the resource cost rate table.  In your pool, you will setup Resource A with two cost rate tables (rate table A is the default).  To get to the cost rate tables, double-click on the resource and select the Costs tab.  Set the resource up on cost rate table A as 150/hr.  Then select cost rate table B.  In this table insert 100/hr in the Std Rate column.

When assigning the resource to a project where you want to use the 100/hr rate, you can assign them first then change the cost rate table.  If you want to do it one at a time (very tedious) double-click on the assignment of the resource to the task in the Resource Usage or Task Usage views.  The more economical way of doing this is to use the Resource Usage view, insert the Cost Rate Table column and make the changes in the same manner you would an Excel spreadsheet, using the Auto Fill feature.

You will still have the pool taking precedence.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, you are right. By all means, at a certain point in time, Pool and open sharers use the same properties for all shared resources. The only thing Sharer takes precedence does is change the origin of these common properties. So your question "How do I achieve..." only has the answer "you can't via the precedence button". Gregg's answer is a solution, however.

Greetings,

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hi Greg, Jan,

Thanks guys for responses. Really appreciate it.

Greg, did what you suggested. Meets what I want. Funnily I had been the cost rates table before but had skimmed over it.

Thanks
    Prad

Prad Dias

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Rad,

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:17 AM