Unable to Scan Mount Points and or Mounted Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Here is a way to test my concern. Running XP Pro SP3 32bit

Start\Control panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage\Disk Management
    Right-click a disk I use c: "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." click "Add..." "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:" "Browse"
    "New Folder" I made mine C:\Test "Ok" now go back to My Computer C:\ look for Mounted Volume "Test" now open Microsoft Forefront
    "Scan" "Scan selected drives and folders" click on "Select" and expand C:\ look for "Test"

It isn't there please help, I need to be able to scan mount points like this.

Monday, June 22, 2009 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, I understand that problem you are experiencing is when using custom scan then the “mounted drive” is not available to put a check mark in. if anything misunderstand, please let me know.

Based on my research, the “Reparse Points” are not scanned by default since it can introduce “looping” and slow performance of scan. Therefore they do not show up in the FCS Custom scan. But you can enumerate the mounts (reparse points) by adding the following registry key with a data of 0x0.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Forefront\Client Security\1.0\AM\Scan

DisableReparsePointScanning (Reg_DWORD) = 0

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Heriges Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, I understand that problem you are experiencing is when using custom scan then the “mounted drive” is not available to put a check mark in. if anything misunderstand, please let me know.

Based on my research, the “Reparse Points” are not scanned by default since it can introduce “looping” and slow performance of scan. Therefore they do not show up in the FCS Custom scan. But you can enumerate the mounts (reparse points) by adding the following registry key with a data of 0x0.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Forefront\Client Security\1.0\AM\Scan

DisableReparsePointScanning (Reg_DWORD) = 0

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Jacob Heriges Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Outstanding!!!

Thank you Nick very much for your post and the answer to my concern.

I tested the change on my desktop and then on another server and I finally made the change on our production server without a reboot.

:::HIGH FIVE:::

Have a great day,

Jake
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:12 PM