windows update on windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having all kinds of issues..i saw a similar question dated back in 2008, and the replies looked great but since its 2016, I want to ask now. First, I have a dell inspiron N5110 home premium windows 7 laptop, Ive had for about 4-5 years and when i first set it up, i had no problems for several years. few months ago, alot of issues..i always downloaded programs into my downloads folder then would go to the folder and click to install, suddenly anything i downloaded the internet explorer window popped up and had to download there then wait for it to scan then try to run/save it, i dont like that method but almost everything i tried to install wouldnt, i tried everything..it seemed that all started after updating to internet explorer 11. i had alot of things i wanted to remove, basically clean out junk, along with the problem installing anything and a few other changes, I decided to reinstall windows 7. i had the jump drive with windows 7 from Dell, never had used..so i carefully researched steps, and went for it. It cleaned up alot, other than installing alot of updates, i was glad to start over, I even looked up all updates and carefully chose and went to dell.com to print list of what order to download updates..the internet explorer window still pops up anytime i download anything, so question 1, what can i do to go back so all downloads i can download into my folder then go to the folder and click to install??? i dont like downloading with internet explorer.. at first my updates i chose updated fine, i had to do a few at a time, i noticed after first set, several updates "failed"... and yesterday i tried to update 11 updates, only 2 recommended and it took forever then a error popped up "windows update error 80080005" and "update error _dt000"....now i have alot of failed updates from a couple days ago and nothing updated now. Can anyone please tell me what i can do to fix this? also after reinstalling windows 7 to original settings last week, Yesterday i upgraded my modem and router. i still had a router that i had for 7-8 years and a modem i rented from my internet provider, I bought a newer updated one and the modem and router were all in one..i took to my provider and they changed things on their end, so i came home and installed the new one, set up new network and new password, i reinstalled my wireless printer, my phone, everything but i am having some problems getting my scanner and printer to stay connected. i am still researching things with HP customer support site, im updating software and drivers for my HP photosmart 5512 wireless printer/copier/scanner, if anyone has any helpful ideas or info about that, i would appreciate any advice, but my biggest concern is fixing windows updates, finding out how i can go back to downloading the way i use to without downloading through internet explorer, getting everything set up and up to date following reinstalling windows 7.....i wanted to upgrade to windows 10 when the free download was available but it said my computer wasnt compatible because of missing BIOS (Im not familiar, im not computer savy, i know some and am good at problem solving so fiqure alot out but not that...now windows 10 isnt free...so i did look into upgrading to windows 8 or 8.1, but it said the same thing "my computer wasnt compatible dues to missing BIOS????" so another question is does anyone have any ideas or know what i needed to do in order to upgrade from windows 7 to at least windows 8 or 8.1?????? i know this is alot of info, but didnt want to be confusing so if anyone has answers to any of the 3-4 questions included, I would be very grateful....Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The change in the download process of Internet Explorer 11 that you described is inevitable. It improves the performance of security, please try to get used to it.

If you are getting Windows update error 80080005 while installing updates, firstly try to run the built-in troubleshoot tool to check if it helps: Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Troubleshooting >

All Categories > Windows Update.

If the problem occurs on a certain update, you could search and download it manually on the following website. http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

If the issue persists, we could review the WindowsUpdate.log (C:\Windows\Logs\ WindowsUpdate) to get more information to troubleshoot this issue.

Also, there is an in-depth process and completely resets the Windows Updates components. Microsoft has this process very well documented and you should follow the steps clearly outlined in the following knowledge base article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

If you want to upgrade from windows 7 to at least windows 8 or 8.1, you may need to pay for it. Windows 10 free upgrade offer ended on July 29, 2016. Windows 10 will continue to be available for purchase, either on a device or as a full version of the software. For more information, please refer to the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:50 AM