WSUS server and client configuration issues RRS feed

• Question

• I just inherited WSUS from my predecessor (it was turned off because of a full disk) so I’m still learning how to use it. Turning it back on I changed where updates should come from, they were stored locally and now I’m pulling them down off of the Microsoft Update location. What I’m seeing is that I have a bunch of computers that WSUS “sees” but are showing “Failed or Needed” status. Unless I visit each machine and manually do the updates this status does not change. Additionally I have some client computers (Windows 7) that are not showing up as managed by WSUS. If I reading this right I’m running version Update Services 6.2.9200.16384 on Management Console 3.0 Version 6.2 (build 9200) on Windows Server 2012.

How can I force WSUS to automatically update the “Failed and Needed” devices?

How can I get those clients that are not being managed by WSUS to be managed?

Some of the things that I have done so far on the server and clients are:

-          Create a GPO (see attached for WSUS)

-          wuauclt /detectnow

-          wuauclt /reportnow

-          wuauclt.exe /detectnow

-          gpupdate /force after modifying the GPO

I even ran the SolarWinds WSUS diagnostic (as a non-administrator) and got this as the output:

# Solarwinds® Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent # 1/23/2015

Machine state

User rights:  User does not have administrative rights (Administrator rights are not available)

Update service status:  Running

Background Intelligent Transfer service status:    Running

OS Version:  Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows update agent version:   7.9.9600.17489 (WU Agent is OK)

Windows Update Agent configuration settings

Automatic Update:    Enabled

Options:  Automatically download and notify of installation

Use WSUS Server: Not found (There is no such key)

Windows Update Server:  Not found (There is no such key)

Windows Update Status Server:  Not found (There is no such key)

WSUS URLs are identical:  Values are empty

WSUS Server Connectivity -- Connectivity check is impossible

So, my questions are:

-          What tool do I use to configure the client machine?

-          How do I get WSUS to update my clients?

Thanks

Sam

Friday, January 23, 2015 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi sam,

I don't find the WSUS server location in the group policy result.

To specify intranet Microsoft Update service location, please refer to the link above.

I'll post a screenshot of my lab later.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Hi sam,

Here is the screenshot of my lab:

If the group policy takes effect, the registry of Windows Update should be set.

Here is the screenshot of these registry in my lab:

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:18 AM

All replies

• I just realized that I don't have the attachment and I'm not sure how to include it so if you need it let me know your email address and I will forward it to you.
    Friday, January 23, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Hi Sam,

>>What tool do I use to configure the client machine?

Domain Group Policy.

>>How do I get WSUS to update my clients?

To use Group Policy to configure the WSUS clients, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708574(v=ws.10).aspx

To verify if the GPO is applied to the client, please follow the steps below:

• gpupdate /force
    • gpresult /h C:\report.html

Note: This procedure requires the privilege of Administrator.

Best Regards.

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Steven,

Thanks for the quick response.

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:25 PM
  • Steven,

Sorry for the 2 part reply. I attached a screen snippet of the results from gpresult as you can see WSUS appears to be configured. However when I go to the Windows Update screen this is what I see, notice that it does say that the updates are being controlled by the administrator

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hi sam,

I don't find the WSUS server location in the group policy result.

To specify intranet Microsoft Update service location, please refer to the link above.

I'll post a screenshot of my lab later.

Best Regards.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:15 PM
  • Hi sam,

Here is the screenshot of my lab:

If the group policy takes effect, the registry of Windows Update should be set.

Here is the screenshot of these registry in my lab:

Best Regards.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:18 AM
  • Steven,

I'm pretty sure that this is not the right forum to discuss this in but just so we can close this case.

On my computer I ran the command gpupdate /force I then rebooted my computer to make sure that the group policy would be updated. The first screen shot is from my domain controller and the second is from my computer. As you can see the Domain Controller has the correct settings but the local machine doesn't. Other parts of the DC GPO settings have worked so I'm somewhat comfortable that it is being propagated properly.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:12 PM