none
MS Project 2010 wrong units RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a task, 5 days duration, 20 hours work, and in the field resource name it says "Resource(50%)".

Fixed duration is used.

When I change to 40 hours it still says "Resource(50%)"! But it is now 100% so it should say "Resource"!

Resource graph show 50% and later 100% workload.

I have seen some discussions about the "Peak" column but when I use it I see no value in it.

This worked fine in Project 2003. How can I get the functionality back?

Jan Persson, Sweden

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:43 PM

Answers

• Jan --

What you are seeing is new functionality in Microsoft Project 2010 and 2013 compared with the behavior of previous versions of the software.  When you change either the Duration or Work value so that the software must recalculate the Units value, the software continues to show the ORIGINAL value in the Units field.  To see the NEW value for the Units field, you must navigate to the Task Usage view or Resource Usage view and then insert the new Peak field.  The Peak field contains the new correct Units value for each task or resource assignment.  I realize this is not very user friendly, but there is no way to change the behavior.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Dale's precise explanation on peak/units clearly explains the modified feature of 2010/2013; the new feature has enhanced precision on calculation and classifications of 'peak' and 'assignment units.' Here is the link that you would like to refer - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:37 PM

All replies

• Jan --

What you are seeing is new functionality in Microsoft Project 2010 and 2013 compared with the behavior of previous versions of the software.  When you change either the Duration or Work value so that the software must recalculate the Units value, the software continues to show the ORIGINAL value in the Units field.  To see the NEW value for the Units field, you must navigate to the Task Usage view or Resource Usage view and then insert the new Peak field.  The Peak field contains the new correct Units value for each task or resource assignment.  I realize this is not very user friendly, but there is no way to change the behavior.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Dale's precise explanation on peak/units clearly explains the modified feature of 2010/2013; the new feature has enhanced precision on calculation and classifications of 'peak' and 'assignment units.' Here is the link that you would like to refer - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Is your answer valid for my question posted at this adress

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/26d5304a-2c15-4cda-b602-8fbadb830e1f/fixed-duration-work-problem-of-data-updating-into-gantt-spreadsheet-resource-field-?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Thanks a lot Dale

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:50 PM
  • Hi Sapna

Is this post valid for my question posted at this adress

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/26d5304a-2c15-4cda-b602-8fbadb830e1f/fixed-duration-work-problem-of-data-updating-into-gantt-spreadsheet-resource-field-?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Thanks a lot in advance for your help

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:54 PM
  • Yes it is.
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Many Thanks to everybody for your expertize, experience and good makro suggestions.

When I use Project I use it in also calculations and proposals, and to have the summary in the Gantt chart together with workload (even when it is below 100%) is very useful.

If "Peak" column would work also in Gantt view I would be happy, but the information given here will help me in my future work.

Maybe in a future release ....

• Edited by Persson Jan Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:57 PM
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Hi Jan

I invite you to see this post about the same problem (click here) and particularly the Rod's reply with a hyperlink for a VBA macro which fixes this problem.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:31 PM