none
Creating a new Site Template RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Online and we have an existing Site Template. I have made some edits to the Site Template, primarily small changes to site columns in several of the site lists available. 

Whilst I have made my changes there is no option available to save the site as a template from Site Settings, is this a permissions issue or has this option been migrated to somewhere less obvious than used to be the case?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:33 PM

Answers

• Maybe try this - https://applepark.co.uk/save-site-as-template-no-longer-an-option/ - though it hasn't been an issue for me recently.   As Guillaume says, it you can't see it, perhaps it's a perms thing.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

I think you need to be more than PWA admin. Something like SP admin to have read/write access to the sharepoint solution gallery.

Note also that you need to create a new blank site, then update it, and finally save it as a site template.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Maybe try this - https://applepark.co.uk/save-site-as-template-no-longer-an-option/ - though it hasn't been an issue for me recently.   As Guillaume says, it you can't see it, perhaps it's a perms thing.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

The SharePoint Publishing site feature was disabled but even when I enabled it the option to save an edited site as a template was not available.

The solution from Ben H worked - adding the /_layouts/savetmpl.aspx  to the Site Template site URL. A useful cheat if ever there was one!

If a Template file visible in the subsites list from "Site Contents" has changes made to it by clicking on the Site Name and then making changes in the site displayed are those changes available on any new sites created using the template which was previously saved or do I effectively need to do a "save as" and save the updated site as a template with a new name to avoid over-writing the existing template?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your wisdom, adding the appended characters worked for me, most useful and much appreciated.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:16 AM