none
inactive SQL recoverypoint in DPM 2012 R2 UR5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a problem with SQL recoverypoints.
    When I remove a SQL Database from a protection group and do not delete the data from disk, the restorepoints should be kept for as long as I do not manually delete them.

In our case the restore points are gone after the normal timeout from the protection group.
    With "Get-DPMDatasource -Inactive | fl" I see that the diskspace is still allocated but no recoverypoint is available for restore.

Computer                 : SQL01
    Name                     : DBName
    LogicalPath              : SQL01\DBName
    ObjectType               : SQL Server 2012-Datenbank
    LatestRecoveryPointLabel : -
    OldestRecoveryPointLabel : -
    TotalRecoveryPointsLabel : 0
    DiskAllocation           : Replikatvolume: 20,00 GB zugewiesen, 14,04 GB
                               verwendet | Wiederherstellungspunktvolume: 15,78 GB
                               zugewiesen, 8,85 GB verwendet

We are using DPM 2012 R2 with UR5.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks for your advise.

With kind regards,

Torsten

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - thanks for that - I was able to reproduce your issue.  What DPM should do is preserve the last recovery point to recover from in the event the database is co-located.  As I had mentioned earlier, the last successful recovery point data is physically on the replica volume. You can access it using the Replica Path details.

You may need to start a new command prompt using psexec.exe.

c:\>psexec.exe /s cmd.exe
    C:\>CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\SqlServerWriter\vol_79d00c30-4329-4542-b874-ada91b78f90b\7057bc0c-deb4-4436-8ce7-9632a898451d\Full\C-Vol>"

Now you can cd to the .ldf and .mdf files and copy them out.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:00 PM

All replies

• Any hint?
    Friday, May 29, 2015 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

This seems to be a powershell issue - if you go under the recovery tab, the data source should still be listed. Right-click and select "Show all recovery points" - it should list available recovery points to recover.

UPDATE
    =====
    If you re-run the PS command several times, it will populate the with correct information.  This has been seen before, and it's not something specific to DPM, but powershell.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Hello Mike,

thanks for your reply.
    Sadly it is not only a powershell issue. We wanted to restore an old database via DPM Gui and there was nothing to restore. That was how we have seen that we have a problem, the hard way :(

After checking everything in the restore tab and the recovery points in the Gui I took a look at the powershell to verify if it is the same.
    I tried to rerun the command as you mentioned above several times with no success.

Sunday, May 31, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

If the sql db is still seen in an inactive protection group, then there is at least one recovery point that can be restored even if the GUI and power shell don't list it.  You can copy the files directly from the replica volume. 

What version of DPM are you running so I can try to reproduce the issue.

Sunday, May 31, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

we are using DPM 2012 R2 with UR5
    Version 4.2.1292.0

Thank you.

Monday, June 1, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

OK - thanks for that - I was able to reproduce your issue.  What DPM should do is preserve the last recovery point to recover from in the event the database is co-located.  As I had mentioned earlier, the last successful recovery point data is physically on the replica volume. You can access it using the Replica Path details.

You may need to start a new command prompt using psexec.exe.

c:\>psexec.exe /s cmd.exe
    C:\>CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\SqlServerWriter\vol_79d00c30-4329-4542-b874-ada91b78f90b\7057bc0c-deb4-4436-8ce7-9632a898451d\Full\C-Vol>"

Now you can cd to the .ldf and .mdf files and copy them out.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help and this workaround.

Just to get it right:
    As you can reproduce this behavior, is it offically a bug and there will be a hotfix for that?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Ok - I need retract my statement about DPM maintaining the last recovery point in the GUI.  I actually mixed that up with a different fix for client protection.

So the behavior is what we both experienced is "by design" and is documented in this TechNet article.

Stopping Protection for Co-Located Data

If you stop protection with the Retain Data option, DPM will retain the recovery points of the selected data sources as long as the retention range of the data source is not exceeded. After the retention range has been exceeded, DPM will remove the recovery points as part of its daily pruning job. However, the replica of that data source will be preserved until the replica volume is eliminated or the data sources that coexisted with the deleted data source are deleted from protection.

However, the workaround is not documented. 

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 4:52 PM