none
My first server/network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am new on this forum. Sorry for my bad English!

I want to know how to set up a server and what type of server (if there are more) for 30 PCs with Windows 10. I have a HPE ProLiant DL120 Gen9 Server that I want to configure with Windows Server 2012. I don`t know the basics, but I want to learn. What do I need for having a network just for storing files? 

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Dimi,

That's a big question and a big topic, to be sure.  Rather than giving you all of the answers here (which would be basically writing a Windows Domain Administrators Guidebook from scratch), I'll give you a few ideas to look further into.

Before you can do anything with networking, you'll have to understand TCP/IP networking and set up DHCP to allocate IP addresses to the workstations.

Next, you'll want an active directory domain.  You'll configure that on your server, and then set up your users as well as join the Windows 10 workstations to the domain.

Once you have the domain, and all the workstations and users joined to the domain, now you'll be able to configure File Services on the server, creating file shares and applying permissions.  You'll need to learn about setting both filesystem and share permissions for network access to the files. This all can be done on your one server also.. but just be aware that this description isn't allowing for any redundancy.  A best practices would be to have more than one domain controller, and also not to combine roles (AD DS and File Services in this example) on the same server. 

I hope that gives you an idea of the kinds of things you'll need to learn more about.

Kevin

Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde

• Edited by Kevin Remde Monday, March 21, 2016 6:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, March 28, 2016 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, April 4, 2016 4:31 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2016 6:49 PM