none
Print out is blank when printing from view in PWA 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to print a view in Project Center from PWA using the Print icon on the ribbon, a window pops up which has the information from the view listed on the screen. Then when you hit the Print button from here, the job is sent to the printer. However, the majority of the print is blank (there is an outline around the page and can see some information on the last two projects).

I found the following link explaining the problem (usually with views containing over 42+ projects), but our organization is on IE 7 which does not apply in this article. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/09/08/project-server-2010-are-your-prints-from-pwa-blank-try-turning-off-ie-compatibility.aspx

I have a user who is very disappointed that he can't print from PWA. I suggested exporting to Excel but all formatting is lost. These types of issues with PWA are affecting adoption of the tool. I know all information can be viewed on-line, but I still live in a world where people want their paper.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:36 PM

Answers

• I agree that it is a major issue, I doubt that anyone wants to print and reformat from Excel. Did you try the solution of toggling off the Compatibility view in your IE? In my case I tried it and it did not work but a couple of others say it did.
    • Marked as answer by StacyLo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:18 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• StacyLo,

Couple of things you could check:

• Did you try viewing the Print Preview before hitting print? does the view appear fine in the print preview?
    • Is the issue with only one specific user? Did you check with any other user?

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Just to let you know, I do get the following error after I hit the print button: <label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">There are more than 30 records in the current grid. Preparing the print page for this many records may cause the browser to alert that the page is running slowly. Press OK to continue, or Cancel to abort the operation.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">Then a new window open that contains what should be printed. I did try hitting Print Preview. The view appears blank as well.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">A user reported this issue to me. I (the "admin", & I use this term loosely!) am experiencing the same issue.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions">Thanks Prassanna.</label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions"></label>

<label for="idUserText" id="idDlgInstructions"></label>

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:22 PM
  • That did not come out well at all. Let me try that again:

Just to let you know, I do get the following error after I hit the print button: There are more than 30 records in the current grid. Preparing the print page for this many records may cause the browser to alert that the page is running slowly. Press OK to continue, or Canel to abort the operation.

Then a new window opens that contains what should be printed. I did try hitting the Print Preview button. The view in Print Preview appears blank as well.

A user reported this to me. I (the "admin" & I use this term loosely!) am experiencing the same issue.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:28 PM
  • I am having the same issue with all users. I can see the output of the view on the screen but if over 30 lines I am getting the black border blank pages.  Sometimes there is no error message but no printed pages either.

I am using windows 7 and IE 8 but same problem occurs on windows XP and IE 7 and IE 8.

Monday, August 13, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Dollie -

I've not figured out a work-around for this problem except exporting the information to Excel. To me, it is a huge issue. The CEO of our company called me because he ran into this problem & could not print a listing of our Enterprise projects. I had to tell him it was a bug in the software & export & format the information for him in Excel.

Again, this is an issue which affects adoption and credibility of the tool. Thanks -
    Stacy

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I agree that it is a major issue, I doubt that anyone wants to print and reformat from Excel. Did you try the solution of toggling off the Compatibility view in your IE? In my case I tried it and it did not work but a couple of others say it did.
    • Marked as answer by StacyLo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:18 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I'm using IE7. It is my understanding that "Compatibility View" is for IE8.

So for now, I think there is no solution to this issue. The CEO of the company is going to have to call me everytime he wants to print something because the Print feature will not work out of Project Server. If you figure out a solution, please let me know. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi try the following workaround 

click on export to excel 

click cancel on the prompt 

now click on print 

this worked for me as a workaround , still trying to find a way to solve the root of the issue 

regards 

Malek 

Malek AlShayeb

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:31 PM
  • I have enabled the Ghantt Chart in project center view, which has resolved the issue with Print.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:27 PM