Texts on Desktop and Start Menu disappear

Question

• I have a general problem with the latest build (10.240) installed on a laptop with ATI FireGL V5200. Texts in the Start Menu, under desktop icons, and on the taskbar disappear, and sometimes come back when I hover the mouse pointer over the icons or menu entries. Can someone help, please?

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Friday, July 24, 2015 4:03 PM

All replies

• Does the issue occur in Safe Mode? If not, create a new user account with Administrator privilege to see if the issue can be resolved.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Friday, July 24, 2015 5:13 PM
  • I Have set-up a new user with admin-rights. The result is the same. When I open the start menu, Icons and Texts are shown. If I hover over the text of the Icons, each Icon and its  text disappears. I click on the lowest entry, as I know it is the "All Aps" entry. Then I move down to the last app, and up again. Click on "Return" to go back to the initial menu. If I now hover over the empty text area, the texts re-appear. Very strange.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Friday, July 24, 2015 8:14 PM
  • You might need to rebuild icon cache files. Kindly go through the following link:

http://www.winability.com/how-to-erase-icon-thumbnail-cache-windows-8/

Same is applicable for Windows 10.

Friday, July 24, 2015 11:47 PM
  • Hi Sengupta,

I just followed your described procedure and deleted all iconcache- and thumbnail-files. After logging in again, the Problem is still the same.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Saturday, July 25, 2015 7:58 AM
  • Open a command prompt with Admin right and  use the sfc/scannow command.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Hi Sengupta,

I had already run sfc with no change to the behavior.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

Sunday, July 26, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Uninstall and reinstall your video adapter drivers. Make sure to use the most current drivers by the manufacturer.

Drivers + Download Center at AMD

-

Hessam
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:12 PM