none
Ramifications of Switching to a 45 Hour Work Week Default - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Currently, our default setting for a typical work week is 40 hours/week.  My manager wants to know if there are any technical ramifications from changing the default to 45 hours/week.  I assume that opens up our Resources to being scheduled 45 hours/week.  Are there any other effects/complications that could result from changing the default work week?

Julie

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• Julie --

If you change the Hours Per Day (HPD) value for each project to 9 hours, versus the default 8 hours value, Microsoft will recalculate the Duration of every task using the new value.  For example, a task requiring 40 hours of work would take a Duration of 5 days when the HPD value is 8 hours.  It would take less than 5 days if the resource is working 9 hours per day on the task.  So, the impact of this change would be major.  I would recommend you try it in a single project before making the commitment to go portfolio wide.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:32 PM
  • I agree with Dale, but also You must open every project in MS Project professional and recalculate-publish it to changes takes effect. 
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Unless you are getting 45 productive hours per week from all resources I would say don't do it. That extra 5h/week makes a 40h/week setting more realistic. Many organisations use 80% or 75% or even less for resource max units as they know the productive hours per week is much less than actual worked hours. Think meetings, breaks, training etc. etc.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:21 PM