Computer Discovery Issue. (How to with MOM rules?) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Good day all,

I would like to enable an event targetting the server in MOM. Its a disabled event by default.

Event name: Computer Discovery - Discovery failed for some machines

By enabling this event I suppose I would be able to wipe my database of computers that are not responding anymore.

The rule knowledge base says that it will not add the computer to the management group because the discovery has failed.

It says also that it does not affect computer part of the management group. Does that mean that once the computer is approved, this rule will not run against computer discovery rule groups to see if the computer still heartbeats?????

I get now to my general issue:

When computers are renamed on our domain, attributes changes on the agent, hence they become inactive and start piling up in my agent-managed lists and time of last contact just shows terrible dates.

I have found that if I could move them to unmanaged mode, delete the discovery rule and again delete them from unmanaged mode, they disapear. But this manual process of forcing them to unmanaged mode and so forth is terribly time consuming.

If the rule stated ealier was enabled and if I setup a response to it, can't I automate the deletion of all this stale PCs not responding or renamed???

The other thing is that I need to write a script or load some kind of modules in the response to that rule and that also, I have no idea of where to start?? Is there a query that could be run to clean the database??

Well any ideas available to automate deletion of non-heartbeating computers (renamed PCs, unjoined PCs, etc...) is the most welcome.

Thank you in advance to all the community.

Regards,

Dominique.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:44 AM

All replies

• After some research, it seems like there is an hotfix available.

It has just been released a week or days ago.

Will give it a try, it seems not to be of much trouble.

See link for guidance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2272146

If anyone has already used it, please share your experience?

Thanks all.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:38 PM