Deploying updates to clients on a monthly basis RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up WSUS to deploy patches once a month on a particular day. From the GPO settings, I can only set the schedule on a weekly basis. No option to set it for 2nd or 3rd Wednesday of each month. Is this some how do-able?

Another question, how can I automatically approve security patches to a computer group. For example, automatically approve security patches and deploy them to group1. Three days later, deploy security patches to group2. Is this do-able with little user input?

Thanks...

Friday, March 18, 2016 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi nseawater,

>No option to set it for 2nd or 3rd Wednesday of each month. Is this some how do-able?

In GPO settings, we are unable to set automatically update monthly. And it is not recommended to patch your computers once a month, especially for security updates. If you insist on doing so, it seems you need to write a script to achieve this.

>how can I automatically approve security patches to a computer group.

We may create an update rule on Options>Automatically Approvals, in "When an update is in: Security Updates"; "Approve the update for: the specific group", however, we can't set when to run the rule. So, we need to manually run the rule at the specific time.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Answer to first question is no, you have to set a date instead.

Answer to 2nd question is yes, look at Automatic Approvals in the Options.

Friday, March 18, 2016 4:43 PM

All replies

• Answer to first question is no, you have to set a date instead.

Answer to 2nd question is yes, look at Automatic Approvals in the Options.

Friday, March 18, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Hi nseawater,

>No option to set it for 2nd or 3rd Wednesday of each month. Is this some how do-able?

In GPO settings, we are unable to set automatically update monthly. And it is not recommended to patch your computers once a month, especially for security updates. If you insist on doing so, it seems you need to write a script to achieve this.

>how can I automatically approve security patches to a computer group.

We may create an update rule on Options>Automatically Approvals, in "When an update is in: Security Updates"; "Approve the update for: the specific group", however, we can't set when to run the rule. So, we need to manually run the rule at the specific time.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:53 AM